Being employed: overview
This chapter explains the legal framework for employment relationships. The chapter covers:
- the Employment Relations Act 2000 (the main legislation covering employment relationships), including who’s covered by the Act and how to distinguish between an employee and an independent contractor
- how your rights and obligations as an employee are determined
- the different types of employment agreements, including individual and collective agreements, fixed-term agreements, and casual employment arrangements
- probation and trial periods, and what your rights are in these situations
- the role of unions
- the different ways in which a job can come to an end.