Other resources

Confirmation of the cause of death – Coroners

The website of Coronial Services of New Zealand has information about the role of coroners in investigating the causes of deaths.

Registering a death

The Births, Deaths and Marriages section of the Department of Internal Affairs has information on its website about registering deaths.

Burial and cremation

Local council websites have information about burial and cremation in their particular areas.

Financial support for bereaved families

  • Work and Income’s website has information about possible financial support for funerals and tangihanga. Go to: www.workandincome.govt.nz, and click on “Benefits and payments / Urgent or unexpected costs”.
  • ACC‘s website has information about different types of accident compensation and payments that can be made to family members when a person has died in an accident. Go to: www.acc.co.nz, and click on “Making a claim / What support can I get? / Injuries causing death”.

Gathering kaimoana for tangihanga

The Ministry of Primary Industries has information on its website about Māori customary rights for gathering kaimoana for tangihanga, hui and other traditional purposes.

Organ donation

The website of Organ Donation New Zealand has information about organ and tissue donation.

Find your local

Community Law Centre

View all law centre listings

Key | Community Law Centres | Outreach Clinics

back to top