Dealing with the Ministry for Vulnerable Children Oranga Tamariki: overview
This chapter covers the law relating to the care and protection of children and young people. It has information about:
- the aims and principles guiding child protection laws (“care and protection”)
- the processes of reporting and investigating suspected child abuse
- when a child or young person can be removed from their family
- family group conferences to deal with care and protection issues
- what happens if a social worker applies for a care and protection declaration from the Family Court
- the different types of orders the Family Court can make to keep children and young people safe and make sure they’re cared for appropriately.