Home | Browse Topics | Individual rights & freedoms | Wills | Relationship property laws and how they can affect wills

Individual rights & freedoms

Challenges to your will after you die

Relationship property laws and how they can affect wills

How does the Property (Relationships) Act affect my property after I die?

Property (Relationships) Act 1976, s 61

The Property (Relationships) Act 1976 provides for your surviving spouse, civil union partner or de facto partner to choose whether to apply for a division of relationship property under the Act (see the chapter “Relationships and break-ups”) or to take what is left to them under your will, or, where there is no will, under the laws of intestacy (see the chapter “A death in the family”, under “Dealing with the deceased’s property: Wills, “intestacy”, and small estates”).

Property (Relationships) Act 1976, s 78

If your surviving spouse or partner makes a claim under the Act, this comes before any other person’s claim under inheritance law. This recognises that one spouse or partner should not be able to give away the other spouse’s or partner’s share of relationship property in their will.

Property (Relationships) Act 1976, ss 75–77

If your surviving spouse or partner chooses to elect a division under the Act, then usually they will no longer be treated as a beneficiary under the will or under the laws of intestacy. In limited circumstances, the court may allow your surviving spouse or partner to take their share of relationship property as well as their inheritance. The court may do this in order to avoid injustice or if it is clear that you intended your surviving spouse or partner to take the gifts left in the will regardless.

How is my property divided under the Property (Relationships) Act?

Property (Relationships) Act 1976, s 75

The property division rules that apply on death under the Act are largely the same as those that apply on separation. If your relationship has lasted at least three years, the general rule is that your surviving spouse or partner will get a half share of the relationship property (see the chapter “Relationships and break-ups”).

Property (Relationships) Act 1976, ss 81, 82

However, there are two significant presumptions in favour of your surviving spouse or partner under the Act. It is presumed that, if there is no evidence to the contrary:

  • all property owned by you at the time of your death is relationship property
  • all property acquired by your estate is relationship property.

Some property will not be presumed relationship property. This includes:

  • property that you dealt with in a contracting-out agreement (unless the agreement is set aside)
  • property that you inherited or that was gifted to you in some way (including from a trust), unless that property has become intermingled with relationship property. It will therefore be up to your surviving spouse or partner to prove that the property is relationship property.

What is the procedure for choosing property division under the Property (Relationships) Act?

Property (Relationships) Act 1976, s 65

A surviving spouse or partner must make their choice by giving written notice in the correct way. This requires a signed certificate from a lawyer stating that the effect and implications of the surviving spouse or partner’s choice has been explained to them. The notice must then be delivered to the executor or administrator of the estate (see “Who’s who: Executors and other key people” in this chapter) or in the appropriate registry of the High Court, if administration of the estate has not been granted in New Zealand.

Property (Relationships) Act 1976, ss 67, 69

Once a choice has been made, it is not usually changed. However, the court can set aside a choice if it would be unjust to enforce it.

What is the time limit for making a choice?

Property (Relationships) Act 1976, s 62

A surviving spouse or partner must choose whether to make a claim under the Property (Relationships) Act or to inherit property under the deceased’s will or the laws of intestacy:

  • within six months of the date of death, if the estate is small enough not to require a grant of probate or letters of administration, or
  • within six months after a grant of probate or letters of administration, if the estate is larger.

Proceedings must be commenced within 12 months of the death of the deceased spouse or partner or the grant of administration, whichever is applicable.

Property (Relationships) Act 1976, ss 89, 90

If no choice has been made, or if the surviving spouse has chosen a division of relationship property but has not begun court proceedings within the time limit, the executors or administrators (see “Who’s who: Executors and other key people” in this chapter) may distribute the estate according to the will or the laws of intestacy, whichever is applicable.

Property (Relationships) Act 1976, s 68

Note: The court may extend the time limits, provided the estate has not been finally distributed, but the court will not undo any partial distribution that has been made before it received a notice of extension of time.

Did this answer your question?


Where to go for more support

Community Law


Your local Community Law Centre can provide free initial legal advice and information.

New Zealand Law Society



Making a will and estate administration

Dividing up relationship property.

Access pamphlets online or order hardcopies from the New Zealand Law Society.

Phone: (04) 472 7837
Email: pamphlets@lawsociety.org.nz

Ministry of Justice


This webpage provides some useful information and links on the more technical legal side of getting a copy of a will when a relative has died.

Māori Land Succession


This gives information on how Māori land is dealt with, including how land is dealt with after an owner has passed away.

Public Trust


Phone: 0800 371 471
The Public Trust gives information about things to consider when making a will, setting things up, choosing an executor and estate administration. Facilities are also available for making a will online. You can call them or visit their website to fill out an enquiry form.

Consumer NZ


The Consumer NZ website contains good information about wills, including the legal requirements for making a will, and what it’s likely to cost to administer after a person dies.

Also available as a book

The Community Law Manual

The Manual contains over 1000 pages of easy-to-read legal info and comprehensive answers to common legal questions. From ACC to family law, health & disability, jobs, benefits & flats, Tāonga Māori, immigration and refugee law and much more, the Manual covers just about every area of community and personal life. It’s for people living in Aotearoa New Zealand (and their advocates) to help themselves.

Buy The Community Law Manual

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top