Home | Browse Topics | Jobs, benefits & flats | Employment conditions and protections | Shift work: When your shifts can be cancelled

Jobs, benefits & flats

Hours, shifts and breaks

Shift work: When your shifts can be cancelled

When is my boss allowed to cancel one of my shifts?

Employment Relations Act 2000, s 67G

If you’re doing shift work, there are new laws about when and how your boss can cancel one of your shifts. “Shift work” means where the employer has different staff coming in to keep the work going continuously during the business’s hours – a café for example. With shift work an employee might work the same hours on different days of the week, or they might work different hours on different days.

The issue of cancelling shifts must be covered in your employment agreement, by a clause that states a reasonable notice period that your boss has to give you, and that specifies reasonable compensation that your boss has to pay you if they don’t give the right notice.

If you’re scheduled to work for a particular shift, the boss can’t cancel it unless they give you the notice in your agreement, or pay you the compensation stated in your agreement. If your shift is cancelled partway through, you’re entitled to full pay for the whole shift.

If your employment agreement doesn’t have a clause dealing with notice and compensation, but your boss cancels a shift anyway, then your boss has to pay you what you would have got for working the shift.

Did this answer your question?

Employment conditions and protections

Where to go for more support

Community Law


Your local Community Law Centre can provide free initial legal advice and, depending on your situation, may also be able to provide ongoing support.

“Pregnancy Rights: Your legal options during and after pregnancy” (booklet)

This booklet contains practical answers to questions about pregnancy and the law, and includes information on sexual health and consent, options after a positive pregnancy test, healthcare, education, housing and more.

Order hard copies from:

Community Law Wellington and Hutt Valley

Phone (04) 499 2928

Email: publications@wclc.org.nz or visit www.communitylaw.org.nz to buy a copy or access free online

Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment


Free phone 0800 20 90 20, for general enquiries about employment relations, pay and holidays.

The Employment website of the Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment publishes a range of publications on employment relations and minimum rights at work.

Labour inspectors

Labour inspectors monitor and enforce minimum employment conditions. To refer a problem to a labour inspector, you contact the Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment on:

Free phone 0800 20 90 20

Worksafe New Zealand, Mahi Haumaru Aotearoa


Free phone: 0800 030 040

Worksafe New Zealand’s website has a range of information and publications on workplace health and safety issues.

Parental leave payments


The Inland Revenue website has information on parental leave payments.

Whistle-blowing (“Protected disclosures” by employees)


Free phone: 0800 802 602
Email: info@ombudsman.parliament.nz

The Office of the Ombudsman provides information and guidance to employees about making a protected disclosure.

New Zealand Council of Trade Unions, Te Kauae Kaimahi


Phone: (04) 385 1334
Email: info@nzctu.org.nz

The NZCTU is the umbrella body for affiliated unions covering every job and industry in New Zealand. It can provide information about which union may cover the type of work you do.

Also available as a book

The Community Law Manual

The Manual contains over 1000 pages of easy-to-read legal info and comprehensive answers to common legal questions. From ACC to family law, health & disability, jobs, benefits & flats, Tāonga Māori, immigration and refugee law and much more, the Manual covers just about every area of community and personal life. It’s for people living in Aotearoa New Zealand (and their advocates) to help themselves.

Buy The Community Law Manual

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top