Applying and qualifying for benefits
How to apply for a benefit
How do I apply for a benefit or other income support?
You can begin the application process by phoning Work and Income’s 0800 559 009 number and telling them that you need income support.
To complete the application process, you’ll need a face-to-face appointment with a Work and Income case manager. You’ll need to provide the appropriate documents and information for the type of assistance you’re asking for.
What information will I need to provide?
You will need to provide:
- a main form of ID (a birth certificate or passport) for yourself and for your children and other dependants
- your Inland Revenue (IRD) number
- your bank account details
- details of your income for the last year
- proof of your rent or other housing costs – such as your tenancy agreement if you’re renting, or your mortgage costs, rates, house insurance and so on if you’re a home-owner.
If you don’t have a birth certificate, Work and Income can pay for the cost of you getting one, in the form of a non-recoverable Special Needs Grant.
If you’re applying for:
- the Supported Living Payment, you’ll need to have a Work Capacity (Medical) certificate from a doctor
- the Disability Allowance, you’ll need a doctor to confirm that you meet the criteria
- hardship assistance, you’ll need to provide evidence of the need for it. You’ll also need to provide identification, but this doesn’t have to be a passport or birth certificate.