COVID-19 response

If you are looking for the latest legal information relating current Coronavirus laws in New Zealand, check out our new section: Coronavirus and the Law.

Consumer protection

Other resources

Community Law

Your local Community Law Centre can provide free initial legal advice and information.

Consumer Protection

Consumer Protection helpline: 0508 426 678 (0508 4 CONSUMER)


The Consumer Protection website has useful information on a range of consumer topics. Consumer Protection is part of the Ministry of Business, Innovation, and Employment (MBIE).


Phone: 0800 345 123

FinCap can help you with budgeting information online or on the phone. They may also suggest a local budgeting service to help you with debt and other budgeting issues.

Consumer NZ

The Consumer NZ website provides a wide range of information on consumer issues. There are also template letters you can use to write to traders to enforce your rights.

Citizens Advice Bureau

Phone: 0800 FOR CAB (0800 367 222)

Citizens Advice Bureaux have volunteers trained in consumer law who can provide you with information and advice about consumer problems.

Commerce Commission

Phone: 0800 943 600

The Commerce Commission enforces the laws against misleading and deceptive conduct by traders (the Fair Trading Act) and the consumer credit legislation (the Credit Contracts and Consumer Finance Act). The Commission provides information on these areas on its website.

It’s All Good

It’s All Good is an animated series produced by the Commerce Commission about consumer rights.

Product Recalls

This site lets you know which products have been “recalled” due to safety issues or product defects. You can generally return a recalled product to the place where you bought it to be repaired or replaced.

Motor Vehicle Traders Register

Phone: 0508 MOTOR TRADERS (0508 668 678)

Check to see if a motor vehicle trader is registered.

Personal Properties Securities Register (PPSR)

Search the PPSR register to see if there is any security interest registered against a vehicle. This can be done for a small fee by registering to check online or by texting the VIN and/or chassis number to 3463 (FIND).

Dispute resolution schemes

There are four dispute-resolution schemes:

Proceedings in the District Courts

The Ministry of Justice website has information about making or responding to a claim in the District Courts. See:

Buying a car privately

YouthLaw has produced a video on buying a car privately.

New Zealand Police

Check to make sure a car that you’re considering buying hasn’t been listed with the police as stolen.

back to top
Page Reader Press Enter to Read Page Content Out LoudPress Enter to Pause or Restart Reading Page Content Out LoudPress Enter to Stop Reading Page Content Out LoudScreen Reader Support