Getting legal help: Legal aid and other help schemes

Finding a lawyer

How do I find a lawyer?

If you're charged with a criminal offence and don't quality for legal aid, and you don't have a lawyer, you'll usually need to hire a criminal lawyer to represent you in court. Community Law centres, the Citizens Advice Bureau and district law societies have lists of lawyers available.

It is crucial to do this as soon as possible. In most cases, the court will only put the case off once for two or three weeks before requiring you to enter a plea to the charge. (See “Other resources” at the end of this chapter.)

back to top

During the Covid 19 response, most Community Law Centres are still giving free legal support by phone and/or online.

Please find the contact details of your nearest Community Law Centre here to access their services.

We’re updating legal rights information during COVID 19 response right now and will have that information available on our website soon. Watch this space.

For now, you will also find out useful information on our Community Law Manual Facebook page.

The distribution of resources from our Online Bookshop are on hold until further notice.

Page Reader Press Enter to Read Page Content Out LoudPress Enter to Pause or Restart Reading Page Content Out LoudPress Enter to Stop Reading Page Content Out LoudScreen Reader Support