COVID-19 response

If you are looking for the latest legal information relating current Coronavirus laws in New Zealand, check out our new section: Coronavirus and the Law.

Communtity Law Manual | Legal aid | Your legal aid lawyer

Civil/family legal aid

Your legal aid lawyer

Can I choose the lawyer who will represent me?

Yes. It’s up to you to find a lawyer to represent you for a civil or family case. You can choose a lawyer based on your own knowledge or experience or on other people’s recommendations, or you may be able to get a list of lawyers from your local Community Law Centre, Citizens Advice Bureau or the Law Society.

Note: You should ask the lawyer you approach whether they do legal aid work for your specific type of legal problem.

If the applicant is unhappy with the lawyer they have been assigned, they should first discuss their concerns with the lawyer. If the problem isn’t resolved, the applicant should contact the Legal Services Commissioner. In rare situations, where there is a good reason for doing so, the commissioner can agree to assign a new lawyer.

back to top
Page Reader Press Enter to Read Page Content Out LoudPress Enter to Pause or Restart Reading Page Content Out LoudPress Enter to Stop Reading Page Content Out LoudScreen Reader Support