Coronavirus and the Law

Coronavirus and the Law

COVID-19 Income Support and Benefits FAQs

COVID-19 Alert level 4

All Auckland Work and Income service centres remain closed under alert level 4, but if you have urgent enquiries, you can call them, see here for contact details.

Income support if you’ve lost your job in the pandemic

I’ve lost my job (been made redundant) – what financial help can I get?

If you’ve lost your job (been made redundant) and need financial support, contact Work and Income by phone on 0800 559 009.

For more information about what benefit you qualify for, click here.

How soon will I get payments from Work and Income after losing my job?

If you qualify for payments, there’s normally a one- or two-week “stand-down” before you become entitled to a benefit.

But if you lost your job because you were fired for misconduct, or if you left your job voluntarily, you will have to wait 13 weeks before you qualify for a benefit (called a “non-entitlement period”).

How much money will I get?

Click here for current rates for the different benefits.

Click here for current rates for the Winter Energy Payment.

Emergency housing

How do I find emergency or temporary housing?

You can contact Work and Income by phone on 0800 559 009 to organise emergency housing. Currently, Work and Income can make a Special Needs Grant to provide you with emergency housing for up to 21 nights at a time.

The Government has also set up a service to provide temporary accommodation for people who need it because of the Covid-19 pandemic. This Temporary Accommodation Service is continuing to operate under Alert Level 1. You can contact them on 0508 754 163 – this number is available 24 hours, 7 days.

Click here for more information.

Food and other essential supplies: help from Civil Defence and local councils

There are Civil Defence and local council schemes for access to food and other necessities, separate from Work and Income payments. These are for people who have no other options, or who can’t go out to get what they need.

  • Click here to find your local 0800 number for help from Civil Defence with essential supplies.
  • Click here to find an alphabetical list of local councils and their contact details.



Last updated: 02 September 2021

back to top

Check out Frequently Asked Questions and Answers related to COVID-19 on our website here.

Community Law Centres across Aotearoa are operating remotely. Please contact them via the phone number or email displayed on the Centre’s page.

Find the contact details of your nearest Community Law Centre here.

Page Reader Press Enter to Read Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Pause or Restart Reading Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Stop Reading Page Content Out Loud Screen Reader Support