Home | Browse Topics | Community life | Harassment and bullying | Complaining to the website, phone company or other “online host”

Community life

Cyberbullying: Protections against online/digital harassment

Complaining to the website, phone company or other “online host”

How to complain

Harmful Digital Communications Act 2015, s 25(1)

You can make a written complaint with the online host yourself, or you can ask NetSafe, as the cyberbullying complaints agency, to make the complaint for you, on your behalf.

NetSafe can also give you advice and help about your complaint.

What to include in your complaint

Harmful Digital Communications Act 2015, s 24(3)

Your complaint should be in writing and should:

  • give your contact details, including a physical address
  • identify the particular material so the host can locate it easily
  • say why you think the material you’re complaining about either breaches the com­mu­nications principles (see above, “The 10 principles for online/digital behaviour”) or is “unlawful” (it could be unlawful because, for example, it includes false statements that are defamatory)
  • say whether you agree to the host identifying you when they pass on your complaint to the person responsible for the material.

The complaints process

Harmful Digital Communications Act 2015, ss 23–25

Since July 2015, the Harmful Digital Communications Act has encouraged all people or organisations that host online content to provide their users with a complaints process that’s effective and easy to access.

The “online content hosts” covered by the Act include phone companies, media companies and Internet Service Providers (ISPs), and also all people who run websites, social media pages, online forums and blogs on which other people can post comments, pictures or videos.

The incentive the Act provides is that these online hosts can protect themselves from legal responsibility for material posted by other people if the host follows the complaints process set out in the Act. These protections are sometimes called “safe harbour” provisions. They will, for example, protect a website operator from being sued for defamation if a user posts false statements about someone.

To benefit from the safe harbour protections, an online content host must:

  • provide an easily accessible way for people to complain about content – such as a simple button or other clear link on the host’s website, and
  • once a complaint is made, follow the steps explained below, including the relevant time limits.

Harmful Digital Communications Act 2015, s 24(2)

These are the steps the online host has to follow if they want to be protected from legal responsibility after you’ve complained to them about a harmful online post:

  • They have 48 hours to send a copy of your complaint to the person responsible for the post.
  • If they can’t contact the other person after making reasonable efforts (for example, if they can’t find out who the person responsible is), the host has to remove the content within 48 hours after first receiving your complaint.
  • If the person responsible for the post is contacted successfully, they can respond to your complaint within 48 hours, and say whether or not they agree to the material being taken down. (Their response is called a “counter-notice”.)
  • If the person responsible does agree to their post coming down, the online host has to take it down as soon as practicable. If the person responsible doesn’t agree to it being taken down, the material stays where it is, unless and until you’re able to get it removed later – for example, by a court takedown order.
  • If the person responsible doesn’t respond within 48 hours after getting the copy of your complaint, the host has to take down the material as soon as practicable.

Did this answer your question?

Harassment and bullying

Where to go for more support

Community Law


Your local Community Law Centre can provide free initial legal advice and information.

Victims Information


Phone: 0800 650 654
Email: victimsinfo@justice.govt.nz

This is the website of the government’s “Victims Centre”. The site provides links to a range of services available to help victims deal with the practical and emotional effects of the crime, at each stage of the criminal and youth justice process.

Human Rights Commission


Phone: 0800 496 877
Email: infoline@hrc.co.nz

The Human Rights Commission website has information about your rights if you’re sexually or racially harassed:

“Sexual harassment” guide

Racial harassment

Harassment and bullying in the workplace


The Worksafe New Zealand website has information and guidance about workplace bullying:

YouthLaw Aotearoa


Phone: 0800 UTHLAW (0800 884 529)
Email: nzyouthlaw@gmail.com

YouthLaw provides free legal advice for young people throughout New Zealand. Their website provides great information for young people about the law around harassment and bullying.

Ministry of Justice

Applying for a Harmful Digital Communications Order

This has information about applying to a District Court judge for a “take down” order or other type of action when you’ve suffered serious emotional distress because of cyberbullying:


Help with online bullying, abuse and harassment


Go to this website for free and confidential help if you’ve been bullied, abused or harassed online. NetSafe has been appointed by the government to be a free information service and complaints agency under the Harmful Digital Communications Act.

NZ Police


This police webpage lists a number of phone counselling services and websites that can help.

Also available as a book

The Community Law Manual

The Manual contains over 1000 pages of easy-to-read legal info and comprehensive answers to common legal questions. From ACC to family law, health & disability, jobs, benefits & flats, Tāonga Māori, immigration and refugee law and much more, the Manual covers just about every area of community and personal life.

Buy The Community Law Manual

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top