Have your say

If you disagree with the law, there are steps you can take to change it. You can:

Make a submission to a select committee

Select committees examine bills after their first reading and make recommendations about whether a bill should be passed and what amendments are necessary. By making a submission to a select committee, you can have a say on what recommendations they should make.

Anyone can make a submission and there will be a set date by which submissions need to be made. You should clearly state what changes you are seeking, and put forward the best arguments you can think of in support. You can make an oral presentation to the committee in addition to providing written submissions.

Talk to your local MP

Making and changing the law is the domain of elected officials, MPs. A way to bring about law reform is to contact your MP, either in person or in writing, to advocate your views and explain why the change you seek would be beneficial. Your local MP acts for you in Parliament, and by being elected is aiming to represent your views. You can contact them at their electorate office.

Start a petition

Putting together a petition to Parliament can be a great way to let elected officials know how you and your community feel about an issue. It can also help build awareness and support from your cause.

A petition asks Parliament to take action on a matter of policy or law. Anyone can start a petition, and there are many sites (such as ActionStation and Change.org) that can help you spread the word and get the community to show their support. When your petition is ready, you can ask a member of Parliament to arrange for it to be presented to Parliament. It will then be allocated to a Select Committee for consideration.

Take direct action

A powerful way to show elected officials your view about an issue is by taking direct action, like organising a protest, a strike, or having your say at a public meeting. Actions like protests are also an important way of influencing public opinion, getting media attention for your cause and building support.

The rights to freedom of expression and freedom of peaceful assembly are guaranteed under the New Zealand Bill of Rights Act 1990. However, these right have some limitations. Police may intervene in a protest if the behaviour of any demonstrators amounts to an offence. When planning a peaceful demonstration, you should inform the Police of your plans. The Police will be able to tell you about any permits that your local authority might require. If you are planning a protest on Parliament grounds, it is a good idea to contact the Speaker’s Office with your plans first.

What’s in the Pipeline?

Please note that the Pipeline is updated infrequently. You can check out the progress of upcoming legislation changes here: https://www.parliament.nz/en/pb/bills-and-laws/

The Pipeline helps keep track of law reform initiatives that affect our communities. Check out the Pipeline below for an update about the progress of bills through Parliament, as well as other plans and inquiries you can have a say on.

To find out more about how a Bill becomes law, click here.

Bill/ConsultationSubmissions DueStageArea of LawKey Changes
Residential Tenancies (Prohibiting Letting Fees) Amendment BillTBC(3) Select CommiteeTenancyThis bill amends the Residential Tenancies Act 1986 to prohibit the charging of a letting fee, or any other fee charged to a tenant, in respect of charges for services rendered by a letting agent, solicitor, or any person in relation to a tenancy.
Abortion Law Reform18/05/2018Law Commission reviewCriminalThe Law Commission is doing a review for the Government to give advice on what alternative approaches could be taken in the law to align with a health approach to abortion.

Specifically, they are reviewing the criminal aspects of abortion law, the grounds for abortion and the process for receiving abortion services.

You can tell them your views here: http://abortionlaw.lawcom.govt.nz/
Corrections Amendment Bill17/05/2018(3) Select CommitteeCriminalThis bill includes a suite of amendments to the Corrections Act 2004 designed to improve the ability of the Department of Corrections to safely and humanely manage prisoners, improve prisoner discipline and safety, and ensure the fair treatment of prisoners.
Election Access Fund BillTBC(1) First ReadingPublicThe Election Access Fund Bill would enable candidates and voters with disabilities equitable access to engage in democracy. The first reading at Parliament is on Wednesday 16 May 2018



back to top
Page Reader Press Enter to Read Page Content Out LoudPress Enter to Pause or Restart Reading Page Content Out LoudPress Enter to Stop Reading Page Content Out LoudScreen Reader Support