Home | Browse Topics | Criminal & traffic law | Common crimes | Synthetic cannabis, party pills, herbal highs: “Psychoactive substances”

Criminal & traffic law

Drug offences

Synthetic cannabis, party pills, herbal highs: “Psychoactive substances”

Possessing synthetic cannabis or other psychoactive substances

Psychoactive Substances Act 2013, s 71 Criminal Procedure Act 2011, ss 6, 71

It’s illegal to possess any synthetic cannabis, party pills or herbal highs – what the law calls “psychoactive substances” – if they haven’t been officially approved by the government. These drugs sometimes used to be called “legal highs,” but since July 2013 they’ve all been illegal.

As of October 2021, no psychoactive substances have been approved by the government agency that deals with this area, the Psychoactive Substances Regulatory Authority (PSRA) – which means that currently it’s illegal to possess any psychoactive substances.

If you’re convicted in court, the judge can fine you up to $500.

In the criminal justice system this is a Category 1 offence. This means that, unlike more serious offences, you don’t have to go to court at all if you simply want to plead guilty, as you can send the court your plea in writing. If you plead not guilty, you’ll have a District Court trial. For more about the different offence categories, see: “The criminal courts”.

Psychoactive Substances Act 2013, ss 72–74 Psychoactive Substances (Infringement Fees and Form of Notices) Regulations 2014, reg 4

Alternatively, rather than taking you to court, the police can simply give you a $300 infringement notice on the spot (like a speeding ticket). To do this they need to at least have reasonable grounds for believing that you possess a psychoactive substance. With an infringement notice you only have to go to court if you want to challenge the notice. Infringement notices don’t give you a criminal record.

Psychoactive substances have been sold on the street under a range of product names – including Anarchy, Apocalypse, Black Widow, Chocolate Haze, Haze, Hydro Budz AK-47, Hydro Budz Hindu Kush, Karma, Puff, Southern Lights, Voodoo, White Rhino and WTF.

Buying or having any psychoactive substances if you’re under 18

If you’re under 18, it’s illegal to buy or possess any psychoactive substances, such as synthetic cannabis, whether they’ve been officially approved or not. For this you can be fined up to $500 if you’re convicted in court.

Note: As of October 2021, no psychoactive substances have been officially approved, so there’s currently no practical difference in how the law applies to young people compared to adults.

Alternatively, instead of bringing charges against you in court, the police can give you a $300 infringement notice.

If you’re 14 or over, and the police take you to court, you’ll be dealt with in the adult courts (the District Court), rather than the usual Youth Court. But if you’re under 14 you’ll be dealt with under the care and protection laws, not the youth justice system or the adult justice system (see: “Dealing with Oranga Tamariki / Ministry for Children”).

Dealing in synthetic cannabis or other psychoactive substances

Psychoactive Substances Act 2013, s 70

There’s a maximum penalty of two years’ imprisonment if you:

  • sell or give unapproved psychoactive substances to anyone, or offer to sell or give them, or
  • have unapproved psychoactive substances in your possession with the intention of selling or giving them to anyone.

Criminal Procedure Act 2011, ss 6, 73 Case: [2015] NZHC 2565

This is a Category 3 offence, which means that if you plead not guilty, you’ll have the right to choose either a jury trial in the District Court or a trial in front of a District Court Judge alone.

The type and level of sentence you get in your particular case will depend on the scale of the dealing you’re involved in:

  • “Minor”: little or no profit-making – If you have a small amount of synthetic cannabis for the purpose of selling or giving it to others, but this isn’t a commercial operation designed to make you money, then the starting point for your sentence is likely to be a fine or a community-based sentence. For example, you might use the drug yourself and sometimes supply it to friends either at cost or for a small profit. However, if there’s repeat offending on a similar scale, you might get a short sentence of home detention or imprisonment.
  • “Moderate”: moderate commercial dealing – If you’re convicted of dealing as a profit-making business on a moderate scale, the starting-point sentence will probably be between six and 12 months’ imprisonment.
  • “Serious”: large-scale commercial dealing – If you’re dealing on a large commercial scale with a sophisticated, well-organised operation, the starting point is likely to be more than 12 months’ imprisonment.

Note: The “starting point” means the level of sentence the judge initially decides on based simply on how bad the offending was, before looking at you and your situation to decide whether your sentence should have any increases (“uplifts”) for aggravating features like previous offending, or reductions (“discounts”) for mitigating features like a guilty plea (see: “How criminal sentencing works”).

Selling or giving approved psychoactive products to under-18s

Psychoactive Substances Act 2013, s 49 Criminal Procedure Act 2011, ss 6, 71

Even if a psychoactive product has been officially approved for sale, it’s still illegal to sell it to anyone under 18. For this an individual can be fined up to $1,000, and companies can be fined up to $10,000. This is a Category 1 offence. For how Category 1 offences are dealt with in the criminal justice system, see: “The criminal courts”.

Note: As of September 2023, no psychoactive substances have been officially approved.

Psychoactive Substances Act 2013, ss 50, 72–74 Psychoactive Substances (Infringement Fees and Form of Notices) Regulations 2014, reg 4

It’s also illegal to give any approved psychoactive substance to someone under 18, or to give it to someone over 18 with the intention that they’ll later give it to someone under 18. For this you can be fined up to $2,000 if you’re convicted in court. Alternatively the police can give you a $300 infringement notice (like a speeding ticket).

Did this answer your question?

Common crimes

Where to go for more support

Community Law

Your local Community Law Centre can provide you with free initial legal advice.

Find your local Community Law Centre online: www.communitylaw.org.nz/our-law-centres

Drug Foundation

The New Zealand Drug Foundation has a large amount of information about different drugs and their effects, and about criminal offences and penalties.

Website: www.drugfoundation.org.nz
Email: admin@drugfoundation.org.nz
24/7 Alcohol Drug Helpline: 0800 787 797
Facebook: www.facebook.com/NZDrugFoundation


KnowYourStuffNZ provides free information, advice, and drug checking services using a range of testing methods at events around New Zealand.

Website: www.knowyourstuff.nz
Contact form: knowyourstuff.nz/contact
Instagram: www.instagram.com/knowyourstuffnz
Facebook: www.facebook.com/KnowYourStuffNZ

The New Zealand Needle Exchange Programme

The Needle Exchange Programme provides and collects needles for safe disposal, advice on harm reduction, and is licensed to provide drug checking services.

Website: www.nznep.org.nz
Email: info@nznep.org.nz
Phone: 03 366 9403
Instagram: www.instagram.com/NZNEP
Facebook: www.facebook.com/NZNEP

The Level

The Level provides free guides for people who use drugs.

Website: www.thelevel.org.nz
Contact form: thelevel.org.nz/contact-us
Instagram: www.instagram.com/thelevelnz
Facebook: www.facebook.com/thelevelnz

Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI)

The MPI website has information about recreational fishing rules and customary gathering rights.

Website: www.mpi.govt.nz/travel-and-recreation/fishing
To report poaching, email poacher@mpi.govt.nz or phone 0800 4 POACHER (0800 47 62 24)

Want to know the rules on the spot?

The MPI have a free NZ Fishing Rules app that you can download by texting the word “app” to 9889. The app works even when you have no coverage.

You can also send a free text 9989 with the name of the species you are fishing for (e.g. blue cod or pāua) and receive legal size and bag limit via return text.

For more information about this: www.mpi.govt.nz/fishing-aquaculture/recreational-fishing/fishing-rules-for-gear-methods-and-species/paua-rules-and-guidelines

Also available as a book

The Community Law Manual

The Manual contains over 1000 pages of easy-to-read legal info and comprehensive answers to common legal questions. From ACC to family law, health & disability, jobs, benefits & flats, Tāonga Māori, immigration and refugee law and much more, the Manual covers just about every area of community and personal life.

Buy The Community Law Manual

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top