Home | Browse Topics | Consumer rights & money | Consumer protection | Buying goods – Automatic guarantees

Consumer rights & money

Chapters in this topic

Automatic guarantees when buying from a business

Buying goods – Automatic guarantees

Which goods are covered by the Consumer Guarantees Act?

What’s considered a “good” under the Act?

Consumer Guarantees Act 1993, ss 2, 41, 43

A good is a piece of personal property. It can be tangible (like a car or a washing machine) or it can be intangible (like computer software).

The Consumer Guarantees Act covers goods usually bought for personal, domestic or household use – for example, household appliances, computer games, clothes, furniture and cars. It also includes animals and plants.

The Act also specifically covers water and gas that is provided in cylinders or tanks (called “non-reticulated gas”). Gas that is piped into your home (called “reticulated gas”) and electricity are generally not covered by the Act, but they still have to meet a level of acceptable quality.

To be covered under the Act, you must be buying the goods from someone or a business who is in the business of selling (called “in trade”). Second-hand goods are covered as long as you buy them from a second-hand dealer (see: “What if the goods are bought second-hand?” below).

What goods aren’t covered by the Act?

Consumer Guarantees Act 1993, ss 41, 43

The Consumer Guarantees Act does not cover:

  • goods normally bought for commercial or business purposes (for example, a photocopier for your business)
  • goods bought through a private sale – for example, garage sales, the “For sale” columns of newspapers, and buying from an ordinary person selling on Trade Me or Facebook Marketplace
  • goods bought if you intend to resell them as part of your business
  • goods bought to be used in a manufacturing process
  • goods given to you by a charity.

Note: If you are buying goods that would usually be used for personal, domestic or household use, but you intend to use it for business purposes (for example, buying a car to make business deliveries), the seller can contract out of the Consumer Guarantees Act. For more information, see: “Can a trader decide not to be covered by the Consumer Guarantees Act?”.

What if goods are bought second-hand?

Second-hand goods are covered by the Act if:

  • you buy the goods from a second-hand dealer, and
  • they’re goods that are usually bought for personal, domestic or household use.

There are some small differences if you buy something second hand:

  • The test for “acceptable quality” is different (see: “The goods must be of an acceptable quality“). For example, acceptable quality for a five-year-old computer is different than for a brand-new computer. What is considered “acceptable quality” will depend on:
    • the age and condition of the goods
    • the price you paid for the goods
    • what the second-hand dealer said about the condition of the goods.
  • There isn’t a requirement to have repair facilities and spare parts – unlike when you buy something new (see: “Repair facilities and spare parts must be available”), unless you’re buying something that is imported and you’re the first person to buy it in New Zealand.

Am I covered by the Act if I buy something on Trade Me?

Consumer Guarantees Act 1993 Fair Trading Act 1986, ss 28B, 36ZC

Yes, if:

  • you are buying the goods for personal or household use, and
  • the seller is in the business of selling (“in trade”).

The same rules apply if you win a Trade Me auction, or you buy at a fixed price (using “Buy now”).

If the person or business selling the item is in the business of selling (if they’re “in trade”), they need to make this clear. This includes if they are using websites like Trade Me. These websites also have a responsibility to make sure that the person or business selling makes it clear that they’re in trade.

Traders and websites that don’t do this may be fined by the Commerce Commission.

What protections are available if the Consumer Guarantees Act does not apply?

First, check that the Consumer Guarantees Act really does not apply. If it applies, the trader can’t escape their obligations, regardless of what they tell you or what is said in your contract (see: “Can a trader decide not to be covered by the Consumer Guarantees Act?”)

Even if your situation isn’t covered by the Consumer Guarantees Act, there may be remedies for you:

Automatic guarantees for goods under the Consumer Guarantees Act

The goods must be of an acceptable quality

Consumer Guarantees Act 1993, ss 6, 7, 7A

Goods are of an acceptable quality when they are:

  • fit for all purposes that goods of their type are commonly used for
  • acceptable in appearance and finish
  • free from minor defects
  • durable
  • safe

Note: Some products (such as children’s nightwear, toys and sunscreen) have mandatory safety standards they must comply with – you can see these safety standards at www.productsafety.govt.nz (or go to www.comcom.govt.nz, and navigate to “Your Business,” then “Your obligations as a business,” and then click on “Product safety standards”).

The goods must meet a standard that is acceptable to a “reasonable consumer”. This takes into account:

  • whether the goods are new or second-hand (see: “What if the goods are bought second-hand?“)
  • the state and condition of the goods, and whether this matches the description you were given
  • any defects (unless you are told about the defect or problem before you buy it, but even in that case, the goods should be of acceptable quality excluding that defect)
  • the price and nature of the goods
  • any statements made by the supplier or the manufacturer
  • the nature of the supplier
  • the context in which the goods are supplied.

Gas that is piped into your home (called “reticulated gas”) and electricity are generally not covered by the Act, but there a specific guarantees in the Act to make sure that they are safe, reliable, and able to be used consistently as a reasonable consumer would expect.

The goods must be fit for their purpose

Consumer Guarantees Act 1993, ss 7, 8

Goods must be:

  • fit for their usual purpose
  • fit for any purpose that you tell the trader you intend to use the goods for, or that you imply to the trader you want to use the goods for (for example, if you ask the trader for a laptop capable of doing a certain function, the laptop they give you must be able to do the function you asked for)
  • fit for any purpose the trader says the goods are fit for.

The goods must match their description

Consumer Guarantees Act 1993, ss 9, 10

If you buy goods that were described to you (for example, in an advertisement or demonstration), the goods must match that description. If you buy something after being shown a sample or demonstration model, the actual goods you receive must be the same as that model.

The goods must be at a reasonable price if no price is agreed in advance

Consumer Guarantees Act 1993, s 11

If you haven’t already agreed on a price, you don’t have to pay the trader more than a reasonable price for the goods. A reasonable price is usually determined by what other traders charge.

If you’ve already paid for the goods, it’s too late and you don’t have a right to a refund.

Repair facilities and spare parts must be available

Consumer Guarantees Act 1993, ss 12, 42

The manufacturer or importer must make sure (as far as reasonably possible) that repair facilities and spare parts are available for a reasonable period of time after you buy the goods.

This doesn’t apply if you are told about limited availability before you buy.

No one else owns, or has a security interest, over the goods

Consumer Guarantees Act 1993, s 5

You’re guaranteed full rights to the goods, free of any security interest (unless the trader tells you about it before you buy). This means that you’re guaranteed that the trader has the right to sell the goods and there’s no money owing on the goods to someone else, such as money owing under a hire-purchase contract.

Delivery must be at the agreed time, or within a reasonable time

Consumer Guarantees Act 1993, s 5A

If the trader is responsible for delivering the goods to you, or for arranging delivery, you have a guarantee that you’ll receive them at the agreed time or within the agreed period. If no particular time or period has been agreed, the goods must be delivered within a reasonable time.

The good must meet any special guarantees given by the manufacturer

Consumer Guarantees Act 1993, s 13

The manufacturer is responsible for ensuring that the goods comply with any special written guarantees they make about it. For more information about guarantees, see: “Extended warranties”.

Did this answer your question?

Consumer protection

Where to go for more support

Legal information and support groups

Community Law

Your local Community Law Centre can provide you with free initial legal advice.

Find your local Community Law Centre online: www.communitylaw.org.nz/our-law-centres

Consumer Protection

The Consumer Protection website has useful information on a range of consumer topics. Consumer Protection is part of the Ministry of Business, Innovation, and Employment (MBIE).

Website: www.consumerprotection.govt.nz
Email: cpinfo@mbie.govt.nz
Phone: 0508 426 678 (0508 4 CONSUMER)

Consumer NZ

The Consumer NZ website provides a wide range of information on consumer issues and template letters you can use to write to traders to enforce your rights.

Website: www.consumer.org.nz
Email: info@consumer.org.nz
Phone: 0800 226 786 (0800 CONSUMER)

Commerce Commission

The Commerce Commission enforces the laws against misleading and deceptive conduct by traders (the Fair Trading Act) and the consumer credit legislation (the Credit Contracts and Consumer Finance Act). The Commission provides information on these areas on its website.

Website: www.comcom.govt.nz
Email: contact@comcom.govt.nz
Phone: 0800 688 5463

To make a complaint online: comcom.govt.nz/make-a-complaint
To read consumer rights in different languages: comcom.govt.nz/consumers/read-about-your-consumer-rights-and-business-responsibilities-in-another-language

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)

CAB provides free, confidential and independent information and advice.  See CAB’s website for valuable information on a range of topics.

Website: www.cab.org.nz
Phone: 0800 367 222
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/citizensadvicenz

Find your local CAB office: www.cab.org.nz/find-a-cab

Product safety

This agency oversees the safety of consumer products that are not food, medicines or road vehicles. Their website has information for consumers about safety standards, product recalls and using products safely.

Website: www.productsafety.govt.nz
Email: cpinfo@mbie.govt.nz
Phone: 0508 627 774

Products recalled: www.productsafety.govt.nz/recalls

FinCap and Money Talks

FinCap is a non-government organisation providing free financial mentoring services.

Website: www.fincap.org.nz
Email: kiaora@fincap.org.nz
Phone: 04 471 1420

MoneyTalks is a financial capability helpline operated by FinCap. The Financial Mentors offer free, confidential advice by phone, text, email and live chat.

Email: help@moneytalks.co.nz
Phone: 0800 345 123
Text: 4029
Live chat: www.moneytalks.co.nz

Motor Vehicle Traders Register

Before purchasing off a motor vehicle trader, check if they are registered.

Website: www.motortraders.med.govt.nz
Phone: 0508 MOTOR TRADERS (0508 668 678)

Buying a car privately

Search the PPSR register to see if there is any security interest registered against a vehicle. This can be done for a small fee by registering to check online

Website: www.ppsr.companiesoffice.govt.nz

Check to make sure a car that you’re considering buying hasn’t been listed with the police as stolen.

Website: www.police.govt.nz/stolenwanted/stolen-vehicles

Other tips for buying a car privately from YouthLaw: www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK8irFAn1as


Disputes Tribunal

The Disputes Tribunal can deal with claims up to the value of $30,000.  It is less formal than a court and cheaper.

Website: www.disputestribunal.govt.nz/about-2
Phone: 0800 COURTS

Motor Vehicle Disputes Tribunal

The Motor Vehicle Disputes Tribunal can deal with claims up to the value of $100,000.  It can only deal with disputes relating to registered traders (or those that should be registered).

Website: www.justice.govt.nz/tribunals/motor-vehicle-dealer-disputes
Phone: 0800 268 787

Dispute Resolution Schemes

There are four dispute resolution schemes for consumers dealing with lenders and other credit providers. Contact the scheme your service provider has registered with.

  1. Financial Services Complaints

Website: fscl.org.nz
Phone: 0800 347 257
Participants list: fscl.org.nz/search-financial-service-providers 

  1. Insurance & Financial Services Ombudsman

Website: www.ifso.nz
Phone: 0800 888 202
Participants list: www.ifso.nz/complaints#find-a-participant

  1. Banking Ombudsman

Website: www.bankomb.org.nz
Phone: 0800 805 950
Participants list: bankomb.org.nz/the-complaint-process/bank-participant

  1. Financial Dispute Resolution Service

Website: www.fdrs.org.nz
Phone: 0508 337 337
Participants list: fdrs.org.nz/become-a-scheme-member/scheme-member-search

Utilities Disputes Commissioner

The Commissions helps with complaints about electricity, gas, water and some fibre services.

Website: www.udl.co.nz
Phone: 0800 22 33 40

Participants list: www.udl.co.nz/making-a-complaint/complaint-form

Also available as a book

The Community Law Manual

The Manual contains over 1000 pages of easy-to-read legal info and comprehensive answers to common legal questions. From ACC to family law, health & disability, jobs, benefits & flats, Tāonga Māori, immigration and refugee law and much more, the Manual covers just about every area of community and personal life.

Buy The Community Law Manual

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top