Home | Browse Topics | Individual rights & freedoms | Wills | Beneficiaries of your will

Individual rights & freedoms

Making a will

Beneficiaries of your will

Who is a beneficiary?

Wills Act 2007, s 13

A beneficiary is any person or organisation who is left anything under a will.

Note: If a person is named as a beneficiary, they should not be a witness to the signing of the will. If they are the witness, they – and their spouse, civil union partner or de facto partner – will usually lose any entitlement under the will (see: “Who can be a witness to my will?).

How do I gift property to children in my will?

Trusts Act 2019, ss 62–66 Care of Children Act 2004, s 64

If your child or children are too young to receive the property outright, you can establish a testamentary trust, and appoint trustees to manage it on your kids’ behalf.

For example, a will can state that when a child reaches the age of 18 they’ll be paid a certain amount. In the meantime, the money will be held in a trust. A trustee will be appointed to invest and look after the money on behalf of the child. The trustee can use some of this money to pay for the child’s welfare, including living and education costs (see: “What is a trustee (and when do I need to create a trust in my will?)”).

The child will get access to the money or property themselves when they reach the age set by the will.

Who will look after my children if I die while they are young?

Care of Children Act 2004, s 26

You can appoint someone to look after your children after you die (called “testamentary guardians”) and leave them directions about how to take care of your children.

However, a testamentary guardian doesn’t have automatic rights to make guardianship decisions or provide day-to-day care of a child. They will have to apply to the Family Court for a Parenting Order to be formally appointed as a legal guardian. This application can be challenged by the surviving parent or other legal guardians (see: Parents, guardians and caregivers).

Appointing someone as a testamentary guardian is the best way you can express who you’d like to look after your children. The Family Court will take this into account when making a Parenting Order.

How long will it take for my beneficiaries to receive the money or property I want to gift them?

There can be significant delays from the time of your death until your beneficiaries actually receive any of your money or property.

Usually it will take at least 6 months, but it can take longer if there are any issues – for example if there are any challenges to the will.

In the meantime, how can I make sure my loved ones are provided for?

It’s a good idea to plan ahead to make sure your loved ones will be financially supported during this time, especially if they don’t have their own income or have been financially dependent on you.

If you have a partner, one way to do this is to have at least one joint bank account together. When one partner dies, any property (including money) that is owned jointly with the other partner will automatically belong in full to the surviving partner. This means that all the money in the joint account will immediately belong to your partner when you die.

Another way to do this is to add a direction in your will that your loved ones can continue to live at your property for a set period of time. However, this can be complicated, so it’s best to get a lawyer’s advice if you’d like to include this in your will.

In some cases, your executor might need to distribute money earlier (e.g. for emergencies, medical expenses, or ongoing necessary expenses like paying for your children’s school fees). To distribute any money from the estate before probate is granted, your executor will have to get the approval of all beneficiaries. They take the risk that if someone does end up claiming against the estate, the executor might be personally liable to pay back any money that was distributed before probate. Your executor would likely have to navigate this with the help of a lawyer.

Next Section | Choosing an executor

Did this answer your question?


Where to go for more support

Community Law

Your local Community Law Centre can provide you with free initial legal advice.

Find your local Community Law Centre online: www.communitylaw.org.nz/our-law-centres

New Zealand Law Society

The Law Society has helpful information on making a will and estate administration.

Website: www.lawsociety.org.nz/for-the-public/common-legal-issues/making-a-will-and-estate-administration

Consumer NZ

The Consumer NZ website contains good information about wills, including the legal requirements for making a will, and what it’s likely to cost to administer after a person dies.

Website:  www.consumer.org.nz/articles/wills

Ministry of Justice

The Ministry of Justice provides useful information on how to obtain a copy of a will when a relative has died.

Website: www.justice.govt.nz/courts/high-court/apply-for-probate-and-get-copy-of-will

Māori Land Succession

The Māori Land Court website provides information on how Māori land is dealt with, including how land is dealt with after an owner has passed away.

Website: www.maorilandcourt.govt.nz

Public Trust

The Public Trust is a provider of wills and estate administration services. Facilities are also available for making a will online. You can call them or visit their website to fill out an enquiry form.

Website: www.publictrust.co.nz/products-and-services/making-a-will
Phone: 0800 371 471

Also available as a book

The Community Law Manual

The Manual contains over 1000 pages of easy-to-read legal info and comprehensive answers to common legal questions. From ACC to family law, health & disability, jobs, benefits & flats, Tāonga Māori, immigration and refugee law and much more, the Manual covers just about every area of community and personal life.

Buy The Community Law Manual

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top