COVID-19 response

If you are looking for the latest legal information relating current Coronavirus laws in New Zealand, check out our new section: Coronavirus and the Law.

Communtity Law Manual | A death in the family | Financial support for bereaved families

Financial support for bereaved families


Overview: Who can we go to for financial support?

If the deceased’s family or whānau can’t afford to pay for the funeral or tangihanga, they’ll need to go in to their local Work and Income office and apply for a grant.

If the death has been brought about by an accident, ACC can provide a range of payments, including funeral grants and survivor’s grants for the partner and children.

Whānau may also be able to access other funding through their iwi organisations or other sources.

back to top

Check out Frequently Asked Questions and Answers related to COVID-19 on our website here

Most Community Law Centres have returned to their normal face-to-face free legal services during Level 1.  Find the contact details of your nearest Community Law Centre here

You will also find out useful information on our Community Law Manual Facebook page.

Page Reader Press Enter to Read Page Content Out LoudPress Enter to Pause or Restart Reading Page Content Out LoudPress Enter to Stop Reading Page Content Out LoudScreen Reader Support