COVID-19 response

If you are looking for the latest legal information relating current Coronavirus laws in New Zealand, check out our Coronavirus and the Law section.

Communtity Law Manual | A death in the family | Financial support for bereaved families

Financial support for bereaved families


Overview: Who can we go to for financial support?

If the deceased’s family or whānau can’t afford to pay for the funeral or tangihanga, they’ll need to go in to their local Work and Income office and apply for a grant.

If the death has been brought about by an accident, ACC can provide a range of payments, including funeral grants and survivor’s grants for the partner and children.

Whānau may also be able to access other funding through their iwi organisations or other sources.

back to top