Home | Browse Topics | Family law | A death in the family | When consent to organ donation is valid

Family law

Donating organs: Who decides

When consent to organ donation is valid

Human Tissue Act 2008, ss 9, 27

Your decision must have been given freely, and it must also be an “informed” decision, which means you have to have all the information that a reasonable person would need in your situation.

The kinds of information you’d need would probably include things like: what the process would be for confirming that you were in fact dead; how your organs or other tissues would be used; the effect the transplant procedure would have on your body’s physical appearance; and whether it will delay your funeral.

The doctors are entitled to assume that any consent you gave was free and informed, unless they’re aware of evidence that it wasn’t free and informed.

Your consent or objection must also be specific about the particular type or types of use it relates to – for example, donating organs for transplants, or using your body or organs for medical research, or both.

Note: When the doctors remove organs from your body, they have to avoid disfiguring it unnecessarily.

Human Tissue Act 2008, s 54

For your consent, or objection, to be legally valid, either:

Human Tissue Act 2008, s 43

  • it must be in writing, or
  • if it’s not in writing, you have to tell two witnesses, who must be there together at the same time.

So legally you don’t have to put your consent in writing, and if you do put it in writing you don’t have to have witnesses. But it’s a good idea to put it in writing anyway, and to have witnesses when you sign this document; your witnesses will be able to confirm later on for the doctors and others that you were mentally capable when you made the decision, and that you had all the information you needed.

Human Tissue Act 2008, s 9(1)(a), (2)(a)

Although legally you can record your decision in your will, the national organisation Organ Donation NZ says that by the time your will is read it will normally be too late to provide organs for transplant. So it’s best to put your decision in a separate document that your family or friends will have access to, not in your will.

Did this answer your question?

A death in the family

Where to go for more support

Confirmation of the cause of death – Coroners


The website of Coronial Services of New Zealand has information about the role of coroners in investigating the causes of deaths.

Registering a death


The Births, Deaths and Marriages section of the Department of Internal Affairs has information on its website about registering deaths.

Burial and cremation

Local council websites have information about burial and cremation in their particular areas.

Financial support for bereaved families


Work and Income’s website has information about possible financial support for funerals and tangihanga. Click on “Benefits and payments / Urgent or unexpected costs”.

ACC‘s website has information about different types of accident compensation and payments that can be made to family members when a person has died in an accident. Go to: www.acc.co.nz , and click on “I’m injured / Types of financial support / Financial support if someone has died”.

Gathering kaimoana for tangihanga


The Ministry of Primary Industries has information on its website about Māori customary rights for gathering kaimoana for tangihanga, hui and other traditional purposes.

Organ donation


The website of Organ Donation New Zealand has information about organ and tissue donation.

Also available as a book

The Community Law Manual

The Manual contains over 1000 pages of easy-to-read legal info and comprehensive answers to common legal questions. From ACC to family law, health & disability, jobs, benefits & flats, Tāonga Māori, immigration and refugee law and much more, the Manual covers just about every area of community and personal life.

Buy The Community Law Manual

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top