COVID-19 response

If you are looking for the latest legal information relating current Coronavirus laws in New Zealand, check out our Coronavirus and the Law section.

Communtity Law Manual | Immigration | Victims of human trafficking

Family violence, vulnerable migrants, and other special visa policies

Victims of human trafficking

Immigration New Zealand has special visa categories for victims of people trafficking, including child victims (victims under 18). You’ll have to apply for a special Temporary Visa first and then a special Resident Visa.

Special Work Visas for human trafficking victims

INZ Operational Manual: Temporary Entry, V3.135, WI16, U10.5

To get a Work Visa, you’ll need to have a certificate from the New Zealand Police stating that you’re a victim of people trafficking. The visa will be valid for one year. Child victims of people trafficking (victims under 18) can be granted a Visitor Visa or Student Visa valid for one year.

Special residence category for human trafficking victims

INZ Operational Manual: Residence, S4.15

A special residence category allows victims of people trafficking to remain in New Zealand if they can’t return home because they’ll be in danger as a result of being trafficked, or at risk of being re-victimised, or at risk of suffering significant social stigma and financial hardship.

You’ll need to:

  • have a current Temporary Visa for victims of people trafficking (see above)
  • provide a New Zealand Police certificate stating that you’re a trafficking victim and that you haven’t tried to obstruct their investigation into the trafficking while you’ve had your Temporary Visa
  • provide evidence that the trafficking will mean you can’t return home, and
  • meet the health and character requirements for residence (see “Residence Class Visas: Living in New Zealand permanently” in this chapter).

Your application will be dealt with by Immigration New Zealand staff who have special training in this area. You’ll also be given priority over other visa applications.

back to top
Page Reader Press Enter to Read Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Pause or Restart Reading Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Stop Reading Page Content Out Loud Screen Reader Support