Home | Browse Topics | Individual rights & freedoms | Discrimination | Complaining to the United Nations

Individual rights & freedoms

Taking action: What you can do if you’re discriminated against

Complaining to the United Nations

There are also a number of international agreements on human rights and discrimination, including:

  • the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination (ICERD)
  • the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW), and the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.

In some cases, you may be able to complain to a UN committee under one of those agreements. The committee will be able to deliver an opinion that, although not binding on the New Zealand government, is nevertheless authoritative and persuasive.

For an example of a complaint to a UN committee about disability discrimination, see: “Rights that are recognised internationally: The UN Disability Convention”.

For more information about international human rights agreements generally, go to www.tikatangata.org.nz/human-rights-in-aotearoa/what-are-human-rights.

Did this answer your question?


Where to go for more support

Community Law

Your local Community Law Centre can provide you with free initial legal advice.

Find your local Community Law Centre online: www.communitylaw.org.nz/our-law-centres

Te Kāhui Tika Tangata/Human Rights Commission

The Human Rights Commission website provides information about human rights in Aotearoa and outlines how you can make a complaint to the Commission.

Website: www.tikatangata.org.nz or www.hrc.co.nz
Email: infoline@hrc.co.nz
Phone:  0800 496 877 (0800 4 YOUR RIGHTS)

To make a complaint online, download a complaint form or find out more about the complaints process: www.tikatangata.org.nz/resources-and-support/make-a-complaint

Human Rights Review Tribunal

This website provides information about the tribunal and the hearing process and contains the relevant application forms.

Website: www.justice.govt.nz/tribunals/human-rights

Make a claim to the Human Rights Review Tribunal: www.justice.govt.nz/tribunals/human-rights/make-a-claim

The Office of Human Rights Proceedings

The Office of Human Rights Proceedings can provide free legal representation to people wanting to bring unlawful discrimination proceedings in the Human Rights Review Tribunal.

Website: www.tikatangata.org.nz/about-us/office-of-human-rights-proceedings
Email: ohrp@ohrp.org.nz
Phone: 09 375 8623

Also available as a book

The Community Law Manual

The Manual contains over 1000 pages of easy-to-read legal info and comprehensive answers to common legal questions. From ACC to family law, health & disability, jobs, benefits & flats, Tāonga Māori, immigration and refugee law and much more, the Manual covers just about every area of community and personal life.

Buy The Community Law Manual

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top