Home | Browse Topics | Individual rights & freedoms | Discrimination | Taking your Complaint to the Office of Human Rights Proceedings

Individual rights & freedoms

Taking action: What you can do if you’re discriminated against

Taking your complaint to the Office of Human Rights Proceedings

Human Rights Act 1993, s 20

The Office of Human Rights Proceedings (“OHRP”) is part of the Human Rights Commission but acts independently of it. The OHRP is headed by the Director of Human Rights Proceedings.

What can the Office of Human Rights Proceedings do about my complaint?

Human Rights Act 1993, ss 84, 90–92

The Office of Human Rights Proceedings can:

  • refer your complaint back to the Human Rights Commission
  • investigate your complaint further and try to help you and the other party come to a settlement
  • decide to take the case for you to the Human Rights Review Tribunal.

What if the OHRP won’t take my complaint further?

If the Director of the OHRP decides not to take your complaint to the Human Rights Review Tribunal, you can take your complaint to the Tribunal yourself, but at your own cost.

Did this answer your question?


Where to go for more support

Community Law

Your local Community Law Centre can provide you with free initial legal advice.

Find your local Community Law Centre online: www.communitylaw.org.nz/our-law-centres

Te Kāhui Tika Tangata/Human Rights Commission

The Human Rights Commission website provides information about human rights in Aotearoa and outlines how you can make a complaint to the Commission.

Website: www.tikatangata.org.nz or www.hrc.co.nz
Email: infoline@hrc.co.nz
Phone:  0800 496 877 (0800 4 YOUR RIGHTS)

To make a complaint online, download a complaint form or find out more about the complaints process: www.tikatangata.org.nz/resources-and-support/make-a-complaint

Human Rights Review Tribunal

This website provides information about the tribunal and the hearing process and contains the relevant application forms.

Website: www.justice.govt.nz/tribunals/human-rights

Make a claim to the Human Rights Review Tribunal: www.justice.govt.nz/tribunals/human-rights/make-a-claim

The Office of Human Rights Proceedings

The Office of Human Rights Proceedings can provide free legal representation to people wanting to bring unlawful discrimination proceedings in the Human Rights Review Tribunal.

Website: www.tikatangata.org.nz/about-us/office-of-human-rights-proceedings
Email: ohrp@ohrp.org.nz
Phone: 09 375 8623

Also available as a book

The Community Law Manual

The Manual contains over 1000 pages of easy-to-read legal info and comprehensive answers to common legal questions. From ACC to family law, health & disability, jobs, benefits & flats, Tāonga Māori, immigration and refugee law and much more, the Manual covers just about every area of community and personal life.

Buy The Community Law Manual

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top