Home | Browse Topics | Individual rights & freedoms | Gender and sexuality | Healthcare for intersex people

Individual rights & freedoms

Getting healthcare

Healthcare for intersex people

When a baby is identified as intersex, some parents, whānau or medical staff might want the child to have genital surgery as part of assigning a female or male sex to the child. There is no medical need for this surgery.

Calls to ban surgery on intersex babies and children

There have been calls for a law change that prevents those surgeries and affirms the rights of intersex people to make these decisions about their bodies for themselves when they’re old enough to do so. These calls have come from intersex community organisations and from two United Nations committees reporting on New Zealand’s human rights performance.

The Darlington Statement, a joint statement made by Australian and New Zealand intersex organisations and advocates in 2017, suggests that genital surgery on intersex babies and children should be a crime. It argues for greater human rights and recognition for people with diverse sex characteristics.

For free advice on your own situation, as an intersex person who has had surgery as a child, or as a parent or friend of a child who might potentially be operated on, you can contact Intersex Aotearoa, Gender Minorities Aotearoa, the Human Rights Commission or the Health and Disability Advocacy Service (see: “Where to go for more support” at the bottom of this page).

Who makes decisions about surgery on intersex children?

Care of Children Act 2004 Case: Hawthorne v Cox [2008] 1 NZLR 409

A child’s legal guardians are responsible for decisions about their medical treatment, but this is not an absolute power. The child’s opinion should always be considered in these decisions. A child can express their opinion at any age, though it will hold more weight the older they get, and the more capable they are at expressing those opinions.

Specialised healthcare for intersex people

As well as general health needs, intersex people might need gender-affirming care, or to access healthcare often associated with only one sex: for example, you may need both prostate examinations and mammograms.

You may feel more comfortable going to a healthcare provider who has experience with other intersex patients. Intersex Aotearoa and Gender Minorities Aotearoa are two organisations that can help you find one in your area. For their contact details, see: “Where to go for more support” at the bottom of this page.

Did this answer your question?

Gender and sexuality

Where to go for more support

Legal information

“Lag Law: Your Rights Inside Prison and on Remand” booklet

This booklet contains practical answers to common questions relating to prisoner rights, including transgender rights in prison. A useful guide for people going to prison, in prison, or getting out of prison and their whānau.

Community Law Wellington and Hutt Valley

Phone: (04) 499 2928

Email: publications@wclc.org.nz

Visit www.communitylaw.org.nz to buy a copy or access free

Rainbow Rights


Rainbow Rights is a website developed by Rainbow Youth and YouthLaw (a Community Law Centre) to provide legal information about rights for LQBTIQ young people.

Legislation NZ


This has all of New Zealand’s current Acts and regulations.

Law Society

To find a lawyer


(04) 472 7837

Gender Minorities Aotearoa


Phone: (04) 385 0611

Mobile: 02040492568

GMA maintains a national database of transgender, takatāpui, and intersex information, resources, and links.




InsideOUT is a national organisation that provides workshops, resources and support to help make schools, community organisations and workplaces inclusive for rainbow people.

Rainbow Youth


(09) 376 4155

RainbowYOUTH provides a number of services for queer and gender-diverse youth and their wider communities all across Aotearoa.



Genderbridge is a peer-to-peer transgender community organisation providing support to transgender and gender-diverse people, their whānau and friends throughout Aotearoa New Zealand.

Naming NZ


Naming NZ is an organisation to help transgender, gender-diverse and intersex youth with updating their identity documents to correctly reflect their sex and gender. Naming NZ can only provide financial assistance to youth in the Wellington region.

Government departments, agencies and courts

Department of Internal Affairs


0800 25 78 87

The Department of Internal Affairs processes applications to legally change your name.

Family Court


0800 268 787 or (04) 918 8800

The Family Court make decisions about applications to change your sex on your birth certificate.

Oranga Tamariki / Ministry for Children

International Surrogacy – Fact sheet


Human Rights Commission


You can contact the Human Rights Commission if you want to know more about discrimination and human rights, or if you want to complain about discrimination:

0800 496 877 or text 0210 236 4253


“To Be Who I Am”, 2007 Report of the Inquiry into Discrimination Experienced by Transgender People is available on the HRC website

Human Rights Commission Intersex Roundtable


NZ Transport Agency


0800 822 422

The NZTA deals with changes to drivers’ licences, including changing your name or gender on your driver’s licence.

Ministry of Health

Guidance for health professionals


Gender affirming surgery


Health and Disability Advocacy Service


The Health and Disability Advocacy Service can provide a free advocate to help you make a complaint about a health or disability service.

Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment

Guide about Transgender Employees


Department of Corrections

Placement of transgender prisoners

You can read their policy (Movements M.03.05) relating to placement of transgender prisoners on their website, at:


Also available as a book

The Community Law Manual

The Manual contains over 1000 pages of easy-to-read legal info and comprehensive answers to common legal questions. From ACC to family law, health & disability, jobs, benefits & flats, Tāonga Māori, immigration and refugee law and much more, the Manual covers just about every area of community and personal life.

Buy The Community Law Manual

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top