Home | Browse Topics | Prisoner's rights | Release from prison | Home detention

Prisoner's rights

Release from prison

Home detention

Can I apply for home detention near the end of my sentence?

Parole Act 2002, s 33; Sentencing Act 2002, s 80I

No, you can’t finish a prison sentence by moving on to home detention. That used to be possible in the past, but now home detention is only an option when you’re sentenced in court after you’re convicted of an offence.

If a judge would have given a sentence of Home Detention, but there isn’t a suitable residential address then the judge can give a sentence of imprisonment with “leave to apply” for Home Detention if a suitable residential address is found. This sentence must be made by the judge at the time of sentencing. If you think you may have been given this sentence you should contact your lawyer for more information.

However, home detention is effectively the same as being released on parole with electronic monitoring (called “residential restrictions”), which can be a special condition on parole (see above, “Release conditions/What is electronic monitoring?“).

Next Section | Preparing for release

Did this answer your question?

Release from prison

Where to go for more support

Community Law


Your local Community Law Centre can provide initial free legal advice and information.

Also available as a book

Lag Law: Prisoner's Rights

Lag Law answers heaps of common questions you might have if you’re going to prison, you’re in prison, or you’re getting out of prison. It talks about your rights in prison, and sets out the laws and rules that affect you when you’re put in prison . 1 free copy for people in prison and the whānau of someone in prison. If that’s you, email laglaw@wclc.org.nz for your free copy

Buy Lag Law: Prisoner's Rights

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top