Home | Browse Topics | Prisoner's rights | Housing and debt | Debts related to my offending

Prisoner's rights

Housing and debt

Debts related to my offending

Can I cancel fines or reparation?

There is no way to cancel reparation but you can ask to change the amount you pay each week or month. You need to talk to Ministry of Justice Collections Unit.

You can have fines “remitted” (cancelled or turned into prison time) by the District Court. For more information, see “The criminal court process”

What happens if an insurance company is chasing me for costs?

Sometimes insurance companies try to collect a “civil debt” in relation to losses they say your offending caused (for example the value of items taken in a burglary). If you receive a letter from an insurance company, you have a few options:

  • Ignore the letter. They might send more letters and eventually try to use debt collectors.
  • If you agree that you should pay something, you could write and negotiate a lower amount that you can pay (or that you think is more accurate).
  • If you can’t pay anything, you can write and tell them that. They might still choose to try to take debt collection action.
End of Chapter

Did this answer your question?

Housing and debt

Where to go for more support

Community Law


Your local Community Law Centre can provide initial free legal advice and information.

Also available as a book

Lag Law: Prisoner's Rights

Lag Law answers heaps of common questions you might have if you’re going to prison, you’re in prison, or you’re getting out of prison. It talks about your rights in prison, and sets out the laws and rules that affect you when you’re put in prison . 1 free copy for people in prison and the whānau of someone in prison. If that’s you, email laglaw@wclc.org.nz for your free copy

Buy Lag Law: Prisoner's Rights

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top