Home | Browse Topics | Prisoner's rights | Family matters | Sole Parent Support

Prisoner's rights

Family matters

Sole Parent Support

Can I transfer my benefit payments to my child’s caregiver?

You can’t simply transfer your own benefit, but the person looking after your children should be able to get some additional help from Work and Income. It will depend on their current financial situation.

You might need to help the caregiver by giving them a letter (or meeting other Work and Income requirements) to explain that they are now looking after the child.

If you will have your child with you in a Mothers with Babies Unit, you may be able to receive a family assistance benefit.

For more information, see “Pregnancy and childcare in prison

Did this answer your question?

Family matters

Where to go for more support

Community Law


Your local Community Law Centre can provide initial free legal advice and information.

Also available as a book

Lag Law: Prisoner's Rights

Lag Law answers heaps of common questions you might have if you’re going to prison, you’re in prison, or you’re getting out of prison. It talks about your rights in prison, and sets out the laws and rules that affect you when you’re put in prison . 1 free copy for people in prison and the whānau of someone in prison. If that’s you, email laglaw@wclc.org.nz for your free copy

Buy Lag Law: Prisoner's Rights

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top