Home | Browse Topics | Your home & neighbourhood | Tenancy and housing | Qualifying for social housing

Your home & neighbourhood

Chapters in this topic

Social housing: Tenants in state and community housing

Qualifying for social housing

Who do I apply to if I want to get on a waiting list for social housing?

Public and Community Housing Management Act 1992, s 100 Public and Community Housing Management (Appointment of Agency and Regulatory Authority) Order 2018

The Ministry of Social Development (MSD) assesses whether people qualify for subsidised state or community housing – called “social” housing. MSD is the government department that deals with benefits and other forms of income support through Work and Income (which is part of MSD) and other MSD units. The MSD unit responsible for social housing is sometimes referred to as “Centralised Unit – Housing”.

To find out if you qualify for government-subsidised social housing, contact Work and Income on 0800 559 009 – or, if you’re 65 or older, contact MSD’s Senior Services unit on 0800 552 002.

The first step will be an initial screening assessment, which may be done over the phone. Someone from MSD will ask you questions about your housing needs, your current living arrangements, your weekly income and so on. If they find you meet the qualifying criteria, you’ll next have a full needs assessment (usually face to face) to decide how high your housing need is and where you’ll be on the social housing waiting list.

Who qualifies for social housing?

Public and Community Housing Management Act 1992, s 102(2)(a) Ministerial Direction on Continued Eligibility for Social Housing, 1 Jul 2014; Ministerial Direction on Eligibility for Social Housing, 14 Apr 2014

To qualify for government-subsidised social housing from Kāinga Ora (Housing NZ) or a community housing provider, you must:

  • be at least 16 and be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident, and New Zealand must be your usual home
  • have after-tax income under $655.41 a week if you have no partner and no dependent children or under $1008.33 a week if you have a partner and/or dependent children; and have less than $42,700 in cash savings or other property that could be converted into cash
  • have a high need for social housing – this will depend on who’s in your household, what your current place is like, your ability to find suitable housing in the private market, and other factors (housing needs are assessed under what’s called the “Social Allocation System” – SAS).

If you have a partner, their situation will be assessed as part of your application.

If I’m turned down for social housing, how can I challenge the decision?

If the Ministry of Social Development decides you don’t qualify for social housing (for example, because they think your housing need isn’t high enough), and you disagree, you can ask for the decision to be reviewed by a Benefit Review Committee (see: “Challenging Work and Income decisions: Reviews and appeals”).

If I’m turned down for social housing, is there any other help I can get from MSD?

If you’re not approved for social housing, you may be entitled to a range of “housing support products” from MSD. Some of this support has to be repaid to MSD, but some doesn’t. You can apply for help to pay for things like bonds, letting fees and moving costs. You can also ask for financial help to leave a tenancy. For more information, see: “Types of main benefits”.

How long will I be on a waiting list for?

This will depend on how high your housing need is, how quickly a suitable place comes up, and the number of people on the waiting list with urgent needs. Applications are given a priority rating which shows how urgent their need is – you’ll be categorised as being at risk (priority A) or as having a serious housing need (priority B), with a number attached. For example, “A20” is the highest priority for housing applications.

If your situation changes while you’re on the waiting list (for example, a change in your income or in the number of people in your household) you should tell MSD, as this could affect whether you still qualify for social housing or your position on the waiting list.

What happens next if a place becomes available?

You’ll be contacted by Kāinga Ora (Housing New Zealand) or the community housing provider who owns the property. They’ll show you the property and, if you want to take it, they’ll draw up a tenancy agreement for you to sign. They’ll also let the Ministry of Social Development know that you’re taking the property.

MSD will work out what your rent will be.

Although you’ll still need to deal with MSD about some issues, from this point on your landlord will be Kāinga Ora or the relevant community housing provider. You’ll deal with them for all the usual things that tenants deal with landlords for – such as paying rent and asking them to carry out any necessary repairs.

What if I refuse a place because, for example, it’s not a good location for me?

If you have a good reason for turning down a social housing property that’s been offered to you (for example, it’s too far away from your doctor), talk to the housing provider (Kāinga Ora or the relevant community housing provider). They may be able to find you a more suitable place. This can be difficult, however, because in many places the demand for social housing is far greater than the number of places available.

Housing waitlists and keeping a clear record to protect yourself

If you turn down a suitable property three times, and MSD thinks you don’t have a good reason, their policy is to take you off the waiting list. It’s a good idea to always keep good written records of your contact with Kāinga Ora (Housing NZ) or the community housing provider and of all issues to do with your tenancy, and this could be particularly helpful if they want to take you off the waiting list. Keep copies of any letters you write to them, and make written notes after each conversation with them. If anything gets damaged, take a photo and write down what caused the damage.

Can I have someone represent me when I deal with MSD?

Yes. You’ll need to get an “Appointment of Agent” form from MSD and complete it – this will authorise your agent to deal with social housing issues and also any other Work and Income issues if you’re on a benefit. If you’ve already appointed someone to deal with Work and Income as your agent, you’ll need to fill in another form, “Agent – Extension for MSH Housing Assessment”.

What if I have nowhere to stay and need emergency accommodation?

If you need emergency accommodation, contact Work and Income on 0800 559 009 – or Senior Services on 0800 552 002 if you’re over 65. Your local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) will also be able to work with you to find out what’s available in your area (for contact details, see: “Where to go for more support” at the bottom of this page).

Emergency accomodation is intended to last for seven days and is paid for by MSD through a special needs grant. If you have to stay longer, you might need to pay some rent – usually 25 percent of your income.

The actual housing is provided through a range of places, including churches, social service agencies, and motels. Kāinga Ora (Housing New Zealand) doesn’t provide emergency accommodation.

What if I’ve stayed at emergency accommodation but need somewhere to stay for longer?

Transitional Housing Operational Guidelines For Providers of Transitional Housing 2018

If you and your whānau need a bit longer to get on your feet, you can apply for what’s called “transitional housing.” This isn’t the same as emergency housing and is intended to last for about 12 weeks. You’ll have to pay some rent – usually 25 percent of your income.

The point of transitional housing is to get people ready for a permanent home. It’s provided by community organisations like a church or social service agency, who are responsible for making sure the place is warm and dry. Providers also help you find more permanent housing and support you with other social services, such as budgeting or health advice.

You apply for transitional housing directly with the provider. Your local Work and Income or Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) will also be able to work with you to find out what’s available in your area (see: “Where to go for more support”  at the bottom of this page for contact details).

Transitional housing providers often have their own criteria for eligibility. They may ask you to be on the MSD Housing Register and prove you have an “urgent need”. For example, the place you were renting was suddenly sold. If you do meet the provider’s requirements, they have to accept your referral unless they believe it would seriously affect the safety of their staff or clients.

You should be moved into more permanent housing by the end of your stay, but the provider should continue supporting you for another 12 weeks after you‘ve moved out. In certain situations, you might be able to stay longer than 12 weeks as long as your provider agrees. You should talk to your provider about this and keep written records of your discussions.

Transitional housing rules sometimes differ from the Act

Residential Tenancies Act, s 5(1)(y)

As a general rule, the Residential Tenancies Act doesn’t apply to emergency accommodation or transitional housing. This means that you’ll need to be aware of the “house rules” of the property you’re staying in because they could be different to the Act. Legally, providers can choose to have parts of the Act cover their property and if they do this, you have to agree to it in writing.

Did this answer your question?

Tenancy and housing

Where to go for more support

Community Law

Your local Community Law Centre can provide you with free initial legal advice.

Find your local Community Law Centre online: www.communitylaw.org.nz/our-law-centres

Tenancy Services – Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE)

MBIE’s Tenancy Services section provides information to tenants and to landlords. It also provides dispute-resolution services.

Website: www.tenancy.govt.nz
Tenancy advice: 0800 83 62 62 (0800 TENANCY). Free translation services are available.
Bond enquiries: 0800 737 666. Free translation services are available.

Ministry of Social Development – Work and Income (WINZ)

Work and Income assess eligibility for social housing provided by Kāinga Ora and other registered community housing providers. WINZ also calculates income-related rent for social housing and conducts tenancy reviews.

Website: www.workandincome.govt.nz/housing/index.html
Phone: 0800 559 009
Email: www.workandincome.govt.nz/housing/nowhere-to-stay/index.html
Email: www.workandincome.govt.nz/housing/find-a-house/who-can-get-public-housing.html
Email: www.workandincome.govt.nz/housing/find-a-house/apply-for-public-housing.html

Kāinga Ora (formerly Housing New Zealand)

Kāinga Ora manages New Zealand’s public housing and places people in public homes.  Kāinga Ora’s website provides information for existing and prospective tenants.

Website: www.kaingaora.govt.nz
Phone: 0800 801 601
Office locations: kaingaora.govt.nz/our-locations
When to contact Kāinga Ora vs Work and Income resource: kaingaora.govt.nz/tenants-and-communities/renting-a-home

Note: to apply for a Kāinga Ora home, you need to contact Work and Income – “Ministry of Social Development – Work and Income (WINZ)” above.

Tenancy Tribunal

The Tenancy Tribunal can help you if you have an issue with a tenant or landlord that you can’t solve yourself. The Tribunal will hear both sides of the argument and can issue an order that is legally binding.

Information on how to apply to the Tenancy Tribunal: www.tenancy.govt.nz/disputes/Tribunal/making-an-application

Aratohu Tenant Advocacy

The Aratohu Tenant Advocacy is a comprehensive online resource that provides support and guidance to tenants and their advocates.

Website: tenant.aratohu.nz

Tenants Protection Association Auckland (TPA)

The Tenants Protection Association provides advocacy and support to renters in Auckland.

Website: tpaauckland.org.nz
Phone: 09 360 1473

Manawatū Tenants’ Union

The Manawatū Tenants’ Union provides advocacy and support to renters in the Manawatū region.

Website: www.mtu.org.nz
Email: info@mtu.org.nz
Phone: 06 357 7435

Renters United

Renters United is an organisation for renters in Wellington. They focus on organising renters and campaigning to make renting better for everyone.

Website: rentersunited.org.nz
Online contact form: rentersunited.org.nz/contact
Instagram: www.instagram.com/fairrentnow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/rentersunitednz

Community Housing Regulatory Authority

The Community Housing Regulatory Authority registers and regulates community housing providers.

Website: chra.hud.govt.nz
Email: CHRA@hud.govt.nz
Phone: 0800 141 411

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)

CAB provides free, confidential and independent information and advice.  See CAB’s website for valuable information on a range of topics.

Website: www.cab.org.nz
Phone: 0800 367 222
Facebook: www.facebook.com/citizensadvicenz

Find your local CAB office: www.cab.org.nz/find-a-cab

Also available as a book

The Community Law Manual

The Manual contains over 1000 pages of easy-to-read legal info and comprehensive answers to common legal questions. From ACC to family law, health & disability, jobs, benefits & flats, Tāonga Māori, immigration and refugee law and much more, the Manual covers just about every area of community and personal life.

Buy The Community Law Manual

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top