Home | Browse Topics | Prisoner's rights | | Parent titles for gender-diverse parents

Prisoner's rights

The other parent

Parent titles for gender-diverse parents

What is a parent title?

A “parent title” is the legally recognised description for the parents of the baby (like “mother,” “father” or “parent”). The parent title is recorded on a child’s birth certificate.

Can I choose a different gender marker to the one listed on my birth certificate?

No, current law requires the parent title to reflect the parent’s gender marker as recorded on their birth certificate.

For example, if your gender marker is recorded as male, you can be recorded as the “father” or “parent” on your child’s birth certificate.

How do I change my gender marker?

You can go to the Family Court to change the sex / gender marker on your birth certificate if you meet certain criteria. The child’s birth registration may be delayed until after the Court has considered the application. For more information see the “Gender and sexuality” chapter in the Community Law Manual.

Note: A Parliamentary Select Committee recommended changes to the process of changing gender markers in 2018, which may mean the law will change to make things easier in the future.

Next Section | Paternity Orders

Did this answer your question?

Where to go for more support

Community Law


Your local Community Law Centre can provide initial free legal advice and information.

Also available as a book

Pregnancy Rights

A basic, plain language guide that contains practical answers to questions about pregnancy and the law. It covers sex and consent, options after a positive pregnancy test, what help you can get with school, work, and parenting and more. Pregnancy Rights is written for young pregnant people, their whānau and advocates.

Buy Pregnancy Rights

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top