Home | Browse Topics | Family law | Pregnancy Rights | Bereavement leave (for miscarriage or stillbirth)

Family law


Bereavement leave (for miscarriage or stillbirth)

What is bereavement leave?

Holidays Act 2003, ss 63, 69,70

Bereavement refers to feelings of grief and sadness following a death. “Bereavement leave” is a special type of paid leave that you can take if someone close to you dies. You can take bereavement leave if you have a miscarriage or stillbirth.

You are able to take a minimum of three days leave (if you’ve been working for 6 months). It does not have to be taken straight away or one day after the other.

This leave is to give you time to grieve and to take care of things to do with the bereavement like planning or going to a funeral.

See the “Employment conditions and protections” chapter in the Community Law Manual for more information on bereavement leave

Can my partner or the other parent take bereavement leave if I have a miscarriage or stillbirth?

Holidays Act 2003, ss 63, 69,70

Yes. They are also entitled to leave for a minimum of three days (if they’ve been working for 6 months).

Next Section | The other parent

Did this answer your question?

Pregnancy Rights

Where to go for more support

Community Law is a free service and has 24 centres across New Zealand.

You can find the details of the nearest Community Law Centre at www.communitylaw.org.nz

Checkout the Community Law Manual for more easy-to-read legal information across community, family and personal life. Access free online or email publications@wclc.org.nz to buy a hard copy

Also available as a book

Pregnancy Rights

A basic, plain language guide that contains practical answers to questions about pregnancy and the law. It covers sex and consent, options after a positive pregnancy test, what help you can get with school, work, and parenting and more. Pregnancy Rights is written for young pregnant people, their whānau and advocates.

Buy Pregnancy Rights

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top