Resolving employment problems

What you can do about disputes with your boss

What this chapter covers

When things go wrong in an employment relationship the two sides are expected to deal with each other in good faith to try to resolve the situation. If you and your employer can't resolve the problem yourselves, the law provides processes for this.

This chapter explains about:

  • bringing a “personal grievance” if your employer has done something you think is unjustified (such as dismissing you or suspending or demoting you) or something illegal such as discriminating against you or sexually harassing you
  • disputes about how your employment agreement should operate or be interpreted
  • recovering unpaid wages
  • the processes available for taking action against your employer, including mediation and going to the Employment Relations Authority
  • labour inspectors and how they can help with employment relationship problems.
back to top
Page Reader Press Enter to Read Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Pause or Restart Reading Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Stop Reading Page Content Out Loud Screen Reader Support