Home | Browse Topics | Jobs & benefits | Resolving employment problems | Sexual harassment at work

Jobs & benefits

Unfair treatment, discrimination or harassment at work

Sexual harassment at work

Sexual harassment by employers or other people in authority

Employment Relations Act 2000, ss 103, 108

If your employer or a manager or supervisor sexually harasses you, you may be able to raise a personal grievance against them. In this context, sexual harassment is where the other person:

  • asks you for sex or some form of sexual activity while either promising preferential treatment or threatening worse treatment or dismissal if you refuse, or
  • subjects you to unwelcome or offensive behaviour through words or physical behaviour of a sexual nature, and this has a negative effect on your employment, job performance or job satisfaction. It’s irrelevant whether or not you told the person harassing you that their behaviour was unwelcome or offensive.

Sexual harassment by co-workers, customers or clients

Employment Relations Act 2000, ss 103, 108, 117, 118

You may also have a personal grievance against your employer for sexual harassment if one of your co-workers or one of your employer’s customers or clients sexually harasses you and your employer doesn’t take the necessary action.

If you’re sexually harassed by a co-worker, customer or client, you can complain to your employer. Your employer must then investigate your complaint. If the employer is reasonably satisfied that your complaint is well-founded, they must take all possible steps to stop the harassment happening again.

If the harassment happens again after you’ve complained, and your employer hasn’t taken steps to prevent it, you can bring a personal grievance against your employer.

What should I do if I experience sexual harassment in the workplace?

Employment Relations Act 2000, s 112

If you experience sexual harassment in the workplace you can bring a personal grievance under the Employment Relations Act or you can complain to the Human Rights Commission under the Human Rights Act (see: “Discrimination”).

You can’t do both. If you decide to go through the Employment Relations Act you must raise your personal grievance within 90 days. On the other hand, you have more time to complain to the Human Rights Commission. The Human Rights Commission also covers a wider group of workers than the Employment Relations Act, including voluntary workers, self-employed and pre-employment situations.

Did this answer your question?

Resolving employment problems

Where to go for more support

Community Law

Your local Community Law Centre can provide you with free initial legal advice.

Find your local Community Law Centre online: www.communitylaw.org.nz/our-law-centres

Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment

The Employment website of the Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment publishes a range of information on employment relations and minimum rights at work.

Website: www.employment.govt.nz
Phone: 0800 20 90 20
Information about resolving problems at work: www.employment.govt.nz/resolving-problems
Early Resolution Service (free phone-based service to resolve issues before they become serious): www.employment.govt.nz/resolving-problems/steps-to-resolve/early-resolution
Free Mediation Services: www.employment.govt.nz/resolving-problems/steps-to-resolve/mediation

Te Kauae Kaimah/New Zealand Council of Trade Unions

Te Kauae Kaimah is the umbrella body for affiliated unions covering every job and industry in New Zealand. It can provide information about which union may cover the type of work you do.

Website: www.union.org.nz
Email: info@nzctu.org.nz
Phone: (04) 385 1334

Labour inspectorate

Labour inspectors monitor and enforce minimum employment conditions. To refer a problem to a labour inspector, you contact the Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment.

Website: www.mbie.govt.nz/position-descriptions/employment-services/labour-inspector-employment-services and www.employment.govt.nz/resolving-problems/steps-to-resolve/labour-inspectorate
Phone: 0800 20 90 20

Employment Relations Authority (ERA)

If you’re unable to settle at mediation (see under “Mediation of Business, Innovation & Employment” above), the next step is to file your claim in the ERA.

Website: www.era.govt.nz
For contact details in your local area: www.era.govt.nz/footer/contact-us

Also available as a book

The Community Law Manual

The Manual contains over 1000 pages of easy-to-read legal info and comprehensive answers to common legal questions. From ACC to family law, health & disability, jobs, benefits & flats, Tāonga Māori, immigration and refugee law and much more, the Manual covers just about every area of community and personal life.

Buy The Community Law Manual

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top