Home | Browse Topics | Criminal & traffic law | Police powers | Searching your home and property

Criminal & traffic law

Search powers: When the police can search you, your home or your things

Searching your home and property

There are important restrictions on when the police can search your home, outside areas like your backyard, and other places such as your car, when they have:

  • your permission as the occupier – called a “consent search”, or
  • a statutory search power – that is, a legal power given by an Act of Parliament, which could be with or without a warrant. If the police use a statutory search power rather than relying on your consent, there are certain steps they have to follow (see: “Searching you personally”).

Search and Surveillance Act 2012, ss 91–96

In certain situations, the police are allowed to ask you for your permission to search your home or property. If you agree, the police can search your home, vehicle, bag or other thing under your control if it’s for one of the following purposes:

  • to prevent a criminal offence
  • to protect someone from being harmed or injured, or to prevent property being damaged or destroyed
  • to investigate whether a criminal offence has been committed
  • to search under a specific power granted by an Act.

The police can’t ask for your permission to conduct a search unless it’s for one of those four purposes. Before they search, the police officer also has to tell you the reason for the search, and also that you can either give or refuse permission. If the police break any of those rules, the search is illegal (see: “What can I do if the police conduct an illegal or unreasonable search?”).

The search can’t go beyond what you’ve agreed to. For example, if the police have asked you for permission to search your living room, and you’ve agreed to this, they can’t then go off and search your bedroom. You might also have only agreed to them searching for a limited time – like 15 minutes.

You can withdraw your consent at any time, and the police then have to stop the search straightaway, unless something has happened to give them a legal power to keep searching – for example, they’ve found illegal drugs. But in that case, there are also some things the police have to do before they can keep searching, including giving you some important information about your rights (see: “Searching you personally”).

If you’re under 14, you can’t legally consent to a police search, unless you’ve been found driving a vehicle and there’s no-one else in the car who’s 14 or older.

Search and Surveillance Act 2012, s 96

Note: The rules about consenting to searches don’t apply if the search is a condition of entry to any public or private place.

Search and Surveillance Act 2012, s 103

The police can apply to the courts for a search warrant if they want to search a building or other place, like a vehicle, aircraft or freight container, for evidence that a criminal offence punishable by a prison term has been committed. The police have to provide a judge or other court official with information to support their belief that evidence is present there. If the judge is satisfied that there are reasonable grounds for the belief, they will issue a search warrant.

A search warrant must state, with sufficient detail:

  • which statutory provision authorises the search
  • the place to be searched
  • the specific items to be searched for, and
  • the alleged offence that has been or will be committed and is the subject of the warrant.

Search warrants are issued subject to conditions, which usually include the following:

  • the police may only seize items that are referred to in the warrant (but police may seize items in plain view if they believe they have another power to seize the items – such as if they find drugs while searching for a stolen item)
  • a search warrant is valid for 14 days from the date on which it is issued
  • a search warrant may be executed at any time of day or night that is reasonable in the circumstances, whether the occupier of the premises is present or not
  • the police officer executing the warrant must have the warrant in their possession and must show the warrant if requested to by the occupier.

A search warrant does not authorise the police to search people found on the premises, unless while on the premises the police form a reasonable belief that a person on the premises is committing an offence that provides for a legal power of search.

A search conducted must still be done in a reasonable manner.

Note: A search warrant may not necessarily relate to a search for property, but may also include a search for people – for example, a warrant to arrest a person, or a place of safety warrant issued under the Oranga Tamariki Act 1989.

Can the police use force when they’re searching?

Search and Surveillance Act 2012, s 103

When police enter and search your home, whether under a court warrant or not, they have to act reasonably. Depending on the situation, this could sometimes include using force. If they’re searching with a warrant, the warrant should say specifically whether the police are allowed to use force.

If the police act unreasonably in carrying out their search – for example by using excessive force against you or by breaking your things – this could affect whether they’re allowed to use any evidence they got from the search if they bring charges against you in court. You may also be able to get a court to order them to pay you compensation.

Search and Surveillance Act 2012, ss 3, 17,  18, 20, 110

The police have the power to search buildings, vehicles and other property without a warrant in certain situations. The police can also request people to help them enter or search a place that has particular cultural or spiritual significance.

Here are three of the most common situations:

  • Drugs – The police can enter and search a place or vehicle if they have reasonable grounds to believe that it contains certain illegal drugs, and a drug offence is taking place or about to take place, and it’s not practicable to get a warrant.
  • Weapons – The police can enter and search any place or vehicle, if they have reason to suspect that there are firearms, ammunition, explosives or restricted weapons that are there in violation of the Arms Act or that were used in a serious crime.
  • Vehicles – The police have various “stop and search” powers that authorise them to search vehicles. For example, they can search any vehicle not on private land if they’ve got reasonable grounds to believe it contains evidence of a serious crime (one punishable by a prison term of 14 years or more, like aggravated robbery). Specific conditions are set down for the exercise of these powers.

Can the police enter a marae?

Marae are included in the definition of “private premises” under the Search and Surveillance Act. This means the police can enter and search a marae the same way they can a person’s house (either with or without a warrant depending on the circumstances).

Did this answer your question?

Police powers

Where to go for more support

Community Law

Your local Community Law Centre can provide you with free initial legal advice.

Find your local Community Law Centre online: www.communitylaw.org.nz/our-law-centres

YouthLaw Aotearoa

YouthLaw provides free legal advice for young people throughout New Zealand. Their website provides great information for young people about the law.

Website: www.youthlaw.co.nz
Email: nzyouthlaw@gmail.com
Phone: 0800 UTHLAW (0800 884 529)

New Zealand Law Society

The Law Society has helpful information on your rights when dealing with the police.

Website: www.lawsociety.org.nz/for-the-public/common-legal-issues/you-and-the-police

Independent Police Conduct Authority

The Independent Police Conduct Authority website has information about how the Authority receives and investigates complaints about the Police.

Website: www.ipca.govt.nz
Email: info@ipca.govt.nz
Phone: 0800 503 728

To make a complaint online: complaints.ipca.govt.nz/195

Police Detention Legal Assistance (PDLA)

Under the PDLA scheme, you can talk to a lawyer for free if you’ve been arrested. The service is provided for free, 24/7.

Email: legalaidprovider@justice.govt.nz
Phone: 04 918 8800

For more information: www.justice.govt.nz/about/lawyers-and-service-providers/legal-aid-lawyers/pdla

Also available as a book

The Community Law Manual

The Manual contains over 1000 pages of easy-to-read legal info and comprehensive answers to common legal questions. From ACC to family law, health & disability, jobs, benefits & flats, Tāonga Māori, immigration and refugee law and much more, the Manual covers just about every area of community and personal life.

Buy The Community Law Manual

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top