Home | Browse Topics | Criminal & traffic law | Police powers | Surveillance powers

Criminal & traffic law

Surveillance powers


Surveillance involving trespass

Search and Surveillance Act 2012, s 45

Police do not have the power to place surveillance or interception devices on private property (without the consent of the occupier), unless this is to obtain evidence in relation to an offence:

  • that is punishable by a prison term of at least seven years, or
  • that is a specific offence under the Arms Act 1983, mainly offences relating to the unlawful possession of specific weapons.

Surveillance powers which don’t require a warrant

Search and Surveillance Act 2012, ss 47,48

Police do not need a warrant to record (secretly or otherwise), if the police are:

  • lawfully on private property and recording what they observe
  • recording audio material of a voluntary conversation, so long as one person who is part of the conversation consents to this (if the police officer is a part of the conversation they can be the person who consents).

Police also have the power to conduct surveillance without a warrant in urgent or emergency situations that might otherwise require a warrant.

Surveillance powers that require a warrant

Search and Surveillance Act 2012, s 46

Police require a warrant issued by a judge to carry out the following surveillance activities:

  • using an interception device to intercept private communication
  • using a tracking device (unless it is solely to learn if something is opened or tampered with, and installing the device does not involve trespass)
  • observing private activity and recording it by visual surveillance
  • using a surveillance device that involves trespass
  • observing and recording a private premises, even if it does not involve trespass, unless the surveillance is for:
    • less than three hours in any 24-hour period, or
    • less than eight hours in total.

Police powers to keep surveillance data

Search and Surveillance Act 2012, s 63

If criminal proceedings are commenced, raw surveillance data (including visual footage and audio recordings) can be kept by the police until:

  • the criminal proceedings related to the offence for which the surveillance was collected (including appeals) have finished, or
  • any appeal period for those criminal proceedings has expired (whichever is latest).

If no criminal proceedings are commenced, the police can keep raw surveillance data for:

  • three years, if the data is required for an ongoing investigation, or
  • up to two more years if specified by order (whichever is latest).
Next Section | Police use of guns

Did this answer your question?

Police powers

Where to go for more support

Community Law

Your local Community Law Centre can provide you with free initial legal advice.

Find your local Community Law Centre online: www.communitylaw.org.nz/our-law-centres

YouthLaw Aotearoa

YouthLaw provides free legal advice for young people throughout New Zealand. Their website provides great information for young people about the law.

Website: www.youthlaw.co.nz
Email: nzyouthlaw@gmail.com
Phone: 0800 UTHLAW (0800 884 529)

New Zealand Law Society

The Law Society has helpful information on your rights when dealing with the police.

Website: www.lawsociety.org.nz/for-the-public/common-legal-issues/you-and-the-police

Independent Police Conduct Authority

The Independent Police Conduct Authority website has information about how the Authority receives and investigates complaints about the Police.

Website: www.ipca.govt.nz
Email: info@ipca.govt.nz
Phone: 0800 503 728

To make a complaint online: complaints.ipca.govt.nz/195

Police Detention Legal Assistance (PDLA)

Under the PDLA scheme, you can talk to a lawyer for free if you’ve been arrested. The service is provided for free, 24/7.

Email: legalaidprovider@justice.govt.nz
Phone: 04 918 8800

For more information: www.justice.govt.nz/about/lawyers-and-service-providers/legal-aid-lawyers/pdla

Also available as a book

The Community Law Manual

The Manual contains over 1000 pages of easy-to-read legal info and comprehensive answers to common legal questions. From ACC to family law, health & disability, jobs, benefits & flats, Tāonga Māori, immigration and refugee law and much more, the Manual covers just about every area of community and personal life.

Buy The Community Law Manual

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top