Home | Browse Topics | Criminal & traffic law | Driving and traffic law | Anti-cruising laws

Criminal & traffic law

Street-racing and “cruising”

Anti-cruising laws

Breaching local bylaws against “cruising”

Land Transport Act 1998, ss 22A(3A), 22AB Land Transport (Offences and Penalties) Regulations 1999, Schedule 1

Local councils can make bylaws restricting or banning “cruising” on their local roads. “Cruising” means driving a vehicle repeatedly in the same direction, and over the same section of road, in a way that either draws attention to the power or sound of the engine, or that creates a convoy of vehicles that interferes with traffic flow.

It’s a criminal offence to breach an anti-cruising bylaw. You can be fined up to $1,000 if prosecuted through the courts, or given a $150 on-the-spot infringement notice.

Christchurch City Council, for example, has a bylaw banning cruising on specific roads, between 10 pm and 5 am seven days a week.

Christchurch City Council Cruising and Prohibited Times on Roads Bylaw 2014

Waka Kotahi, the NZ Transport Agency, can also make anti-cruising bylaws for state highways.

Impounding for cruising after a warning

Land Transport Act 1998, ss 22AF, 96(1AA)

If you’re stopped for breaching a cruising bylaw, the police can give you a warning notice, which they’ll attach to your vehicle (this will be either as well as, or instead of, giving you an infringement notice for cruising). This means that if they stop you again for breaching a cruising bylaw any time within the next 90 days (three months), your vehicle will be impounded for 28 days (see: “Losing your vehicle: Impounding and confiscation”).

Land Transport Act 1998, s 52(8)

If you remove or cover up the warning notice, you can be fined up to $10,000.

Did this answer your question?

Driving and traffic law

Where to go for more support

Community Law

Your local Community Law Centre can provide you with free initial legal advice.

Find your local Community Law Centre online: www.communitylaw.org.nz/our-law-centres/

For Community Law’s guide to applying for a limited licence and template application forms: communitylaw.org.nz/resources/legal-letters

Waka Kotahi – New Zealand Transport Agency

Waka Kotahi’s site provides a wide range of driving and road safety information, including on topics covered in this chapter.

Website: www.nzta.govt.nz
Phone: 0800 699 000
Email: info@nzta.govt.nz

Search your question on Waka Kotahi’s resources section: www.nzta.govt.nz/resources

New Zealand Police

The New Zealand Police’s “frequently asked questions” section provides helpful information, particularly the “Driving/road safety” and “Tickets/infringements” section.

Website: www.police.govt.nz/advice-and-services/faqs

New Zealand Government

The New Zealand government website sets out more information about driving fines and penalties, including how to pay for infringement notices.

Website: www.govt.nz/browse/transport/driving-fines-and-penalties

Consumer Protection

The Consumer Protection website has useful information on a range of consumer topics, including private parking tickets and the towing and clamping of cars.

Website: www.consumerprotection.govt.nz/help-product-service/cars/parking-clamping-towing

Also available as a book

The Community Law Manual

The Manual contains over 1000 pages of easy-to-read legal info and comprehensive answers to common legal questions. From ACC to family law, health & disability, jobs, benefits & flats, Tāonga Māori, immigration and refugee law and much more, the Manual covers just about every area of community and personal life.

Buy The Community Law Manual

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top