Home | Browse Topics | Individual rights & freedoms | Sex, gender and sexual orientation | Human rights and discrimination

Individual rights & freedoms

Human rights and discrimination


It is your legal right to be, and publicly identify as, any gender or sex in your everyday life and interactions with others, no matter what sex you were assigned when you were born.

This might mean using a name that’s different from the one you were given at birth, presenting yourself and dressing in a way that feels comfortable, and asking people to use pronouns (for example, “he/him,” “she/her,” or “they/them”) that feel right to you.

There is no legal standard for “proving” what your sex is in New Zealand. There are limited circumstances where people can ask for specific evidence about your identity, and only if it’s relevant to the service they are providing. There are also some limited circumstances where discrimination is legally allowed, but these are only in specific situations. See: “Discrimination” for more about exceptions to anti-discrimination laws.

If you’re asked for proof of your gender or sex

Human Rights Act 1993, ss 42, 44 Official Information Act 1982, s 12

Government and private organisations can ask you to provide proof of your identity when you’re dealing with them, but you shouldn’t be asked to provide more proof than a cisgender person.

If you think an organisation is treating transgender and cisgender people differently and want to take action, you could ask to see the organisation’s policy for asking for proof of identity. If they are breaching the policy, or if they have an unfair policy, you can use this information to complain to the Human Rights Commission.

If the organisation is a public service, you can ask for the information formally under the Official Information Act 1982 (see: “Getting information from the government”). If you’re dealing with a private business, getting their policies can be more difficult, because there are different rules about what information they have to make publicly available. For support you can contact your local Community Law Centre.

Gendered uniforms

Human Rights Act 1993, ss 57, 58

Schools and workplaces can require you to wear a uniform or to follow a dress code. You have the right to dress in the uniform or dress code of the gender or sex you are, and you shouldn’t have to provide proof of your sex to do so.

Uniforms at school can be assigned as male or female as long as the effect of the different uniforms isn’t discriminatory. For example, if boys can wear shorts or pants but girls have to wear long skirts that limit their physical movement, this could be illegal discrimination.

If you aren’t male or female, the law is less clear. You could ask for an appropriate middle-ground uniform in line with these anti-discrimination rules.

You should not be required to wear some third option if you don’t want to. This is true at school, work, and in any other areas of public life.

Gendered toilets

New Zealand Bill of Rights Act 1990, ss 5, 19 Human Rights Act 1993, s 57 Health and Safety at Work Act 2015, s 36  Education and Training Act 2020, s 127

You should never have to show proof of your gender or sex to use the right bathroom. This includes at school or work.

If you aren’t comfortable in a gendered toilet at school or work – for example, if you are non-binary – a gender-inclusive toilet might be more suitable. If your school or workplace doesn’t have one, you could request that they install this option. This could be instead of, or as well as, gendered toilets.

Rainbow Rights has information on how to request gender-inclusive toilets, here (or go to rainbowrights.nz and search: “What are my rights if I am denied access to the toilet or changing rooms that align with my gender identity?”).

Schools and workplaces aren’t legally required to provide gender-inclusive toilets. However, they do have to take reasonable steps to make sure the environment is safe for you. When making a request, you could explain that an appropriate bathroom would help with making your school or work a safe, gender-inclusive environment.


You’re allowed to participate in community sport as the gender or sex you are. Sports New Zealand guidelines say you shouldn’t have to prove or justify your gender or sex to be involved in community sports in New Zealand, even when there are different teams for men and women.

All sport and recreation organisations should have policies designed to support trans sportspeople. Sports NZ has information about what these policies should look like, here (or go to sports.org.nz and search: “Transgender inclusion”).

These guidelines apply to sport at a community level. Professional sport policies are usually set at an international level. If you are playing sport professionally, you may be asked for more information about your gender or sex.

Having a child

The law used to be unclear about trans or queer people having the right to adopt children or use a sperm or egg donor. Now, anti-discrimination laws make sure you have the same rights as a cis person. For more information, see: “Adoption”.

Next Section | Going to prison

Did this answer your question?

Sex, gender and sexual orientation

Where to go for more support

Legal information and support groups

Community Law

Your local Community Law Centre can provide you with free initial legal advice.

Find your local Community Law Centre online: www.communitylaw.org.nz/our-law-centres

Access the free “Lag Law: Your Rights Inside Prison and on Release” book.  This book contains practical answers to common questions relating to prisoner rights, including transgender rights in prison. A useful guide for people going to prison, in prison, or getting out of prison and their whānau.

Online: www.communitylaw.org.nz/community-law-manual/prisoners-rights-chapter-1-before-prison-the-criminal-court-process/before-prison-the-criminal-court-process
Email for a hard copy: laglaw@wclc.org.nz
Phone: Community Law Wellington and Hutt Valley – 04 499 2928


InsideOUT is a national organisation that provides workshops, resources and support to help make schools, community organisations and workplaces inclusive for rainbow people.

Website:  www.insideout.org.nz
Email:  hello@insideout.org.nz
Phone:  027 331 4507
Instagram:  www.instagram.com/insideoutkoaro
Facebook:  www.facebook.com/insideoutkoaro

Gender Minorities Aotearoa

Gender Minorities Aotearoa is a nationwide organisation providing support and information to transgender people.

Website: www.genderminorities.com
Email: support@genderminorities.com
Phone: 04 385 0611

Naming New Zealand

Naming NZ is an organisation to help transgender, gender-diverse and intersex youth with updating their identity documents to correctly reflect their sex and gender.

Website: www.ry.org.nz/namingnz

Intersex Aotearoa

Intersex Aotearoa are an intersex-led education, lobbying, advocacy and peer support organisation in Aotearoa, welcoming all people with intersex variations in Aotearoa, whānau and friends.

Website: www.intersexaotearoa.org
Email: info@intersexaotearoa.org
Instagram: www.instagram.com/intersexyaotearoa
Facebook: www.facebook.com/intersexaotearoa


Genderbridge is a peer-to-peer transgender community organisation providing support to transgender and gender-diverse people, their whānau and friends throughout Aotearoa New Zealand.

Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/genderbridge


OutLine is a confidential, free, all-ages support line that provides rainbow specialist counselling and trans and non-binary peer support. Call for free from 6pm-9pm.

Website: www.outline.org.nz
Phone: 0800 688 5463
Instagram: www.instagram.com/OUTlineAotearoa
Facebook: www.facebook.com/outlineaotearoa

Rainbow Rights in Aotearoa

RainbowYOUTH and YouthLaw have collaborated to provide information about the various legal rights afforded to people living in Aotearoa, and how they relate to queer, intersex and gender diverse people.

Website: www.rainbowrights.nz

Rainbow Youth

RainbowYOUTH provides a number of services for queer and gender-diverse youth and their wider communities all across Aotearoa.

Website: www.ry.org.nz
Instagram: www.instagram.com/rainbowyouth
Facebook: www.facebook.com/rainbowyouth

Q Youth

Q Youth is a charity run by youth for youth in Nelson. Q Youth provides support, training and education to rainbow youth, friends, family and whānau.

Website: www.qyouthnz.com
Email: office.q.youth@gmail.com

Government departments, agencies and courts

Department of Internal Affairs

The Department of Internal Affairs processes applications to legally change your name.

Website: www.govt.nz/browse/passports-citizenship-and-identity/changing-your-name/change-your-own-name
Phone: 0800 22 52 52

NZ Transport Agency

The NZTA deals with changes to drivers’ licences, including changing your name or gender on your driver’s licence.

Website: www.nzta.govt.nz/driver-licences/renewing-replacing-and-updating/updating-your-licence
Phone: 0800 822 422

Te Whatu Ora/Health New Zealand

Te Whatu Ora has guidance for health professionals dealing with transgender people and information on gender affirming surgeries.

Website: www.tewhatuora.govt.nz/our-health-system/preventative-healthwellness/providing-health-services-for-transgender-people

Te Kāhui Tika Tangata/Human Rights Commission

See the Human Rights Commission website for information about human rights and discrimination in Aotearoa. It outlines how you can make a complaint to the Commission.

Website: www.tikatangata.org.nz or www.hrc.co.nz
Email: infoline@hrc.co.nz
Phone: 0800 496 877 (0800 4 YOUR RIGHTS)

To make a complaint online, download a complaint form or find out more about the complaints process: www.tikatangata.org.nz/resources-and-support/make-a-complaint 

Other resource of interest: “To be who I am: Report on the Inquiry into Discrimination Experienced by Transgender People”: www.tikatangata.org.nz/our-work/to-be-who-i-am-report-on-the-inquiry-into-discrimination-experienced-by-transgender-people

Nationwide Health & Disability Advocacy Service

The Nationwide Health & Disability Advocacy Service offers free, independent, and confidential advice to support you making a complaint about health and disability services.

Website: www.advocacy.org.nz
Email: advocacy@advocacy.org.nz
Phone: 0800 555 050

Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE)

MBIE has some guidance for employers with transgender employees.

Website: www.employment.govt.nz/starting-employment/hiring/discrimination-when-hiring/transgender-employees

Department of Corrections

The Prisons Operations Manual Policy outlines the procedure for determining where to place transgender and intersex prisoners in prison (see Movements M.03.05).

Website: www.corrections.govt.nz/resources/policy_and_legislation/Prison-Operations-Manual/Movement/M.03-Specified-gender-and-age-movements/M.03.05-Transgender-prisoner

Also available as a book

The Community Law Manual

The Manual contains over 1000 pages of easy-to-read legal info and comprehensive answers to common legal questions. From ACC to family law, health & disability, jobs, benefits & flats, Tāonga Māori, immigration and refugee law and much more, the Manual covers just about every area of community and personal life.

Buy The Community Law Manual

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top