Home | Browse Topics | Prisoner's rights | | Legal Aid

Prisoner's rights

Legal Aid


If you need a lawyer you might be able to get legal aid. Legal aid will help pay for your lawyer’s fees and you wont need to pay it back. If you are on a benefit you will usually be able to get legal aid.

There are two types of legal aid – Civil/Family Legal Aid and Criminal Legal Aid.

Civil/Family legal aid is to help with the legal costs of bringing or defending a civil case (for example, if you take your boss to the Employment Relations Authority) or a case in the Family Court (for example, a Parenting Order).

For more information see the chapter “Legal Aid and other legal help” in the Community Law Manual. You can also contact your nearest Community Law Centre.

Did this answer your question?

Where to go for more support

Community Law


Your local Community Law Centre can provide initial free legal advice and information.

Also available as a book

Pregnancy Rights

A basic, plain language guide that contains practical answers to questions about pregnancy and the law. It covers sex and consent, options after a positive pregnancy test, what help you can get with school, work, and parenting and more. Pregnancy Rights is written for young pregnant people, their whānau and advocates.

Buy Pregnancy Rights

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top