Home | Browse Topics | Family law | Relationships and break-ups | Dividing your property when you split up (“Relationship property”)

Family law

Dividing your property when you split up (“Relationship property”)


Property (Relationships) Act 1976, ss 1C, 1M

The Property (Relationships) Act 1976 deals with how the property of married couples, civil union partners and de facto couples is divided when a relationship ends. The Act covers a relationship ending because of a break-up, but it can also cover a relationship ending because of the death of a spouse or partner.

The purpose of the Act is to recognise the equal contributions of both partners to their relationship and to provide for a fair division of property when their relationship ends, taking into account the interests of their children. The general presumption of the Act is that a couple’s property will be divided equally between them. There are exceptions to this rule, however. In particular, there are different rules about how property is to be divided where a relationship has lasted less than three years.

Who’s covered by the Property (Relationships) Act

Whether the rules in the Property (Relationships) Act 1976 apply to you and your ex-partner depends on the type of relationship it was and how long you were together.

  • Couples who’ve been together three years – Married, civil union and de facto couples who’ve been together for at least three years are covered by the equal-sharing rules in the Act. This means the family home, car, and furniture and appliances will usually be shared equally between them.
  • Short-term marriages and civil unions – Married and civil union couples who’ve been together less than three years are covered by the Act. But in some cases, the family home, car and so on may be divided according to each person’s contributions to the relationship (including non-financial contributions), rather than being shared equally. See “Short-term relationships: When the Act applies” below
  • Short-term de facto relationships usually not covered – De facto couples who’ve been together for less than three years usually aren’t covered by the Act at all. This means that the ordinary rules of property ownership will decide what each person is entitled to. But there are some exceptions to this. And for information about exactly what a “de facto relationship” is under the Property (Relationships) Act, see “What is a “de facto relationship” in the “Relationships and breakups” chapter.

Making your own agreement

Property (Relationships) Act 1976, ss 21A, 21F

A couple can decide how they will divide their relationship property if they ever split up. If they can agree on how they will divide the relationship property, then they can do this without having to follow the rules of the Property (Relationships) Act and without having to go to court.

However, any agreement must be in writing and must meet various legal requirements, including that the parties each get independent legal advice. See “Can a couple contact out of the Property (Relationships) Act?” below in this section

Principles of relationship property law

Property (Relationships) Act 1976, s 1N

The law around dividing relationship property is guided by these general principles:

  • both partners have equal status, and their equality should be maintained and enhanced
  • all forms of contribution to the relationship are treated as equal. This means non-financial contributions, such as caring for children, are valued equally with financial contributions, such as working for a wage
  • a fair division of relationship property needs to take into account any economic advantages or disadvantages to a spouse or partner as a result of the relationship or as a result of the ending of the relationship
  • relationship property issues should be resolved as inexpensively, simply and quickly as is consistent with justice.

Did this answer your question?

Relationships and break-ups

Where to go for more support

Community Law


Your local Community Law Centre can provide free initial legal advice and information.

Births, Death & Marriages (Department of Internal Affairs)


This website has information about marriages and civil unions. On this site you can also apply online for a marriage licence or download the application forms.

Family Court


This Family Court webpage provides a range of information relevant to adult relationships, including information on separation, dissolution, relationship property and the court processes that apply in those areas. You can access pamphlets online, as well as Family Court forms such as Dissolution of Marriage Application packs.

Family Court fee waiver forms

Family Court fee waiver (or refund) forms are available here:


New Zealand Law Society



  • Living together
  • Dividing up relationship property
  • What happens to your children when you part?
  • What happens when your relationship breaks up?

You can access pamphlets online or order hard copies from the New Zealand Law Society.

Phone: (04) 472 7837

Email: pamphlets@lawsociety.org.nz

Work and Income


Relationships often have a significant impact on personal finances. For information on how your changing relationship status might affect what benefits you are entitled to, contact Work and Income.

Phone: 0800 559 009

Also available as a book

The Community Law Manual

The Manual contains over 1000 pages of easy-to-read legal info and comprehensive answers to common legal questions. From ACC to family law, health & disability, jobs, benefits & flats, Tāonga Māori, immigration and refugee law and much more, the Manual covers just about every area of community and personal life.

Buy The Community Law Manual

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top