Making a separation agreement

Why make a separation agreement?

A separation agreement is an agreement that says that you and your spouse or partner have decided to live apart. You don’t have to have a separation agreement, but it can be a useful record of the decisions the two of you make when you separate – for example, on:

  • arrangements for care of children (see the chapter “Parents, guardians and caregivers”)
  • how you’ll divide up your property
  • any agreement for maintenance (financial support) by one of you for the other or for the children.

Family Proceedings Act 1980, s 39(3)

The agreement usually includes the date on which you agreed to separate. If the two of you are married or in a civil union and you later decide to apply for a divorce (“dissolution”), you can use the separation agreement as evidence that you’ve lived apart for the necessary two years. See “Divorce: “Getting a Dissolution” Order” in this chapter

How do we make a separation agreement?

Property (Relationships) Act 1976, ss 21A, 21F

You can write up your own separation agreement. But if your agreement is going to deal with relationship property, it has to follow the form required by the Property (Relationships) Act:

  • it has to be in writing and signed by each of you, and
  • each of you must have had independent legal advice, and
  • each of your signatures must be witnessed by a lawyer, and
  • the lawyer who witnesses your signature has to certify that they explained to you about the effect and implications of the agreement.

Family Court Act 1980, s 15(c)

Note: You can register your separation agreement with the Family Court, as a “Consent Order”. This means that if anything goes wrong, it can be enforced in the same way as a court order.

Did this answer your question?

Relationships and break-ups

Where to go for more support

Community Law

Your local Community Law Centre can provide free initial legal advice and information.

Births, Death & Marriages (Department of Internal Affairs)

This website has information about marriages and civil unions. On this site you can also apply online for a marriage licence or download the application forms.

Family Court

This Family Court webpage provides a range of information relevant to adult relationships, including information on separation, dissolution, relationship property and the court processes that apply in those areas. You can access pamphlets online, as well as Family Court forms such as Dissolution of Marriage Application packs.

Family Court fee waiver forms

Family Court fee waiver (or refund) forms are available here:

New Zealand Law Society


  • Living together
  • Dividing up relationship property
  • What happens to your children when you part?
  • What happens when your relationship breaks up?

You can access pamphlets online or order hard copies from the New Zealand Law Society.

Phone: (04) 472 7837


Work and Income

Relationships often have a significant impact on personal finances. For information on how your changing relationship status might affect what benefits you are entitled to, contact Work and Income.

Phone: 0800 559 009

Also available as a book

The Community Law Manual

The Manual contains over 1000 pages of easy-to-read legal info and comprehensive answers to common legal questions. From ACC to family law, health & disability, jobs, benefits & flats, Tāonga Māori, immigration and refugee law and much more, the Manual covers just about every area of community and personal life.

Buy The Community Law Manual

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top