COVID-19 response

If you are looking for the latest legal information relating current Coronavirus laws in New Zealand, check out our Coronavirus and the Law section.

Communtity Law Manual | Relationships & break-ups | Divorce: Getting a “Dissolution” Order

Divorce: Getting a “Dissolution” Order


Family Proceedings Act 1980, ss 37–43

If you want to end your marriage or civil union, you’ll need to apply to the Family Court for a “dissolution” – the legal term for a divorce. This section will use the legal word “dissolution” to refer to a divorce.

Nowadays, there’s basically only one requirement that has to be satisfied for you to get a dissolution: the two of you have to have been living apart for two years.

back to top