Home | Browse Topics | Family law | Parents, guardians and caregivers | The process in the Family Court

Family law

The Family Court

The process in the Family Court

How does the court process work?

A Family Court hearing in front of a judge is usually a last resort to resolve family disputes. Usually, before you go to the Family Court with a dispute about children, you need to have tried to resolve the dispute between yourselves with the help of the Family Dispute Resolution process. See below in this section, “‘Family Dispute Resolution’: Mediation through the Family Court”.

The person who applies to the court must usually have attended a Parenting Through Separation course too. See “‘Parenting Through Separation’ courses” in this chapter

After you’ve applied to the Family Court, a judge will consider your application and decide what the next steps in your case should be. For more information, see “How the court process works in Parenting Order cases” in this chapter

Can I get access to counselling or mediation through the Family Court?

The Family Dispute Resolution (FDR) mediation process is free if your income is below a certain amount. In some cases, you may also be offered some counselling before mediation begins (“preparatory counselling”). For more information see “‘Family Dispute Resolution’: Mediation through the Family Court” below.

Family Court Judges can also order free counselling in some Care of Children Act cases to improve the relationship between the two people or to encourage them to comply with any order or direction the court has given.

How does the Family Court make decisions?

In cases involving the care of children, the most important factor will be the child’s wellbeing and best interests. See “The court hearing: How the judge decides what to do” in this chapter

The interests of children are also taken into account in other family cases, such as disputes about relationship property. See the chapter “Relationships and break-ups”

Who can go to a Family Court hearing?

Care of Children Act 2004, s 137

The Family Court is not open to the public. The only people allowed to attend court hearings are people involved in the case, including:

  • the judge and other court officials
  • the parents, guardians or other people who are directly involved in the case (“the parties”)
  • the lawyers for the people involved including a lawyer for the child if they have been appointed one
  • Any witnesses and any support people (if the judge allows them to be there).

Children don’t usually attend court hearings. A judge may allow a child to attend part of a court hearing, but it would be very unusual for a child to be allowed to go to the whole hearing, as it’s unlikely this would be in their best interests.

In some circumstances, the media can attend a Family Court hearing, but they can’t publish any names or details that might identify anyone involved in the case, unless they get the judge’s permission.

During a hearing, the judge can exclude anyone from attending a hearing, or ask anyone to leave the hearing, including the news media.

Did this answer your question?

Parents, guardians and caregivers

Where to go for more support

Community Law


Your local Community Law Centre can provide initial free legal advice and information.

Oranga Tamariki / Ministry for Children


Phone: 0508 FAMILY (0508 326 459)
Email: enquiry@ot.govt.nz

This web page has information about the adoption process.

Family Court


The Family Court website includes information on the topics in this chapter.

Family Court fee waiver forms


Department of Internal Affairs


This DIA webpage has information on how to obtain original birth certificates for adopted children.

Parents can now register their baby’s birth online at: www.smartstart.services.govt.nz/register-my-baby

“What happens to your children when you part?” (pamphlet)

Phone: (04) 472 7837
Email: pamphlets@lawsociety.org.nz

This New Zealand Law Society pamphlet covers guardianship, care of and contact with children, how disputes are resolved, and other child-focused issues. Access the pamphlet online or order hardcopies from the New Zealand Law Society.

Inland Revenue


Phone: 0800 221 221

Inland Revenue’s Child Support webpage has a wide range of forms and guides for parents and caregivers.

Alternative dispute resolution

www.resolution.institute – Resolution Institute is a community of mediators, arbitrators, adjudicators, restorative justice practitioners and other DR professionals.

www.aminz.org.nz – AMINZ (Arbitrators and Mediators Institute of New Zealand).

There are many kinds of “alternative dispute resolution” that, depending on your personal situation, may be cheaper and more successful than going to the Family Court. These include counselling, mediation and negotiation. You can find out more at the above websites

Aotearoa New Zealand Association of Supervised Contact Services


The ANZASCS website has information about organisations that are approved as providers of supervised contact services.

“Pregnancy Rights: Your legal options before and after pregnancy” booklet


This booklet contains practical answers to questions about pregnancy and the law, and includes information on sexual health and consent, options after a positive pregnancy test, healthcare, education, housing and more.

Order hard copies from:
Community Law Wellington and Hutt Valley
Phone: (04) 499 2928

Email: publications@wclc.org.nz or visit www.communitylaw.org.nz to buy a copy or access free online.

Also available as a book

The Community Law Manual

The Manual contains over 1000 pages of easy-to-read legal info and comprehensive answers to common legal questions. From ACC to family law, health & disability, jobs, benefits & flats, Tāonga Māori, immigration and refugee law and much more, the Manual covers just about every area of community and personal life. It’s for people living in Aotearoa New Zealand (and their advocates) to help themselves.

Buy The Community Law Manual

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top