COVID-19 response

If you are looking for the latest legal information relating current Coronavirus laws in New Zealand, check out our Coronavirus and the Law section.

Communtity Law Manual | Disability rights | ACC compensation for disabilities

Benefits and compensation: What you’re entitled to from Work and Income and ACC

ACC compensation for disabilities

The information below is a summary. For more details, see the chapter “Accident compensation (ACC)”, under Lump-sum payments for permanent impairments”.

Lump-sum ACC payments for permanent impairments

Accident Compensation Act 2001, ss 6, 69, Schedule 1, clauses 54–62; Injury Prevention, Rehabilitation, and Compensation (Lump Sum and Independence Allowance) Regulations 2002, reg 4

You can get lump-sum compensation for a permanent impairment – for example, if you lose a finger in a machine accident at work. These are one-off, non-taxable payments that are paid on top of other ACC entitlements. The ACC laws define an “impairment” as meaning “a loss, loss of use, or derangement of any body part, organ system, or organ function”.

These lump-sum payments don’t include compensation for pain and suffering, or for loss of enjoyment of life, resulting from the impairment. However, they can cover not only physical impairments but also the mental harm caused by rape and sexual abuse.

Usually, an assessment for lump-sum compensation happens after a doctor tells ACC that your personal injury has stabilised, and that there is probably a permanent impairment. But if after two years, a doctor says that your personal injury has not stabilised but that permanent impairment is likely, ACC can do the assessment anyway.

back to top
Page Reader Press Enter to Read Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Pause or Restart Reading Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Stop Reading Page Content Out Loud Screen Reader Support