Home | Browse Topics | Taonga Māori | Māori land | Alienation: Selling, gifting and other land transactions

Taonga Māori

Alienation: Selling, gifting and other land transactions

Restrictions on selling or otherwise alienating Māori land

Te Ture Whenua Māori Act 1993, ss 146, 147A, 150

Because the Act exists to keep land in the hands of its owners and their whānau, their hapū and their descendants, the sale of Māori land is subject to a number of significant restrictions that don’t apply to General land (that is, ordinary privately owned land):

  • If owners of Māori land want to sell or gift their interest in the land, they must first notify and offer it to the people who belong to the “preferred classes of alienees”.
  • The seller must then get the Māori Land Court’s approval for the gift or sale, usually in the form of a “Vesting Order” that transfers the ownership in the land.

Who can sell or otherwise alienate Māori freehold land?

Te Ture Whenua Māori Act 1993, ss 147, 150B, 150C

The owners of a block of Māori freehold land can sell, gift, lease or mortgage either the whole or part of that block. This includes:

  • a sole owner
  • the joint tenants of a block, if they’re acting together (for the meaning of “joint tenants,” see: “Overview and key terms)
  • the owners in common of the land, if the transaction has the required level of consent, which in the case of a sale or gift is 75 percent of the owners or ownership interests (for “owners in common,” see: “Overview and key terms)
  • the trustees of a Māori land trust, if the transaction has the required level of consent, which in the case of a sale or gift is 75 percent of the owners or ownership interests
  • a Māori incorporation, if the transaction has the required level of consent, which in the case of a sale or gift is 75 percent of the shareholders.

Right of first refusal for whānau and hapū associated with the land

Te Ture Whenua Māori Act 1993, s 147A

In general, the person buying the shares must be a member of the whānau or hapū associated with the land, that is, someone from the preferred classes of alienees. For more details about the “preferred class of alienees,” see: “Overview and key terms”. The Māori Land Court may also approve you selling your shares to someone outside the preferred class, but you’ll need to show the court you’ve tried to sell the shares to the preferred class at a fair value and weren’t successful.

Note: It’s important that you discuss any sale with your children. Children and whānau, although they aren’t current owners, can appear in court and be heard on any application to sell ownership interests in land.

Can I sell or gift the whole block of land?

Te Ture Whenua Māori Act 1993, s 147

Yes. You can sell or gift the whole block of land. As with other sales of Māori land, you’ll need to get the Māori Land Court’s approval. You’ll need to show, among other things, that the right of first refusal has been offered to the preferred classes of alienee, or that the proposed sale or gift is to a member of that group.

Note: The process of getting approval from the court can be very complex, so it’s best to contact your nearest Māori Land Court office for information about this.

Did this answer your question?

Māori land

Where to go for more support

Community Law

Your local Community Law Centre can provide you with free initial legal advice.

Find your local Community Law Centre online:

Māori Land Court

See the Māori Land Court website for application forms and information about Māori Land and the court’s role and processes.

Website: www.maorilandcourt.govt.nz
Download application forms online: www.maorilandcourt.govt.nz/our-application-process/come-in-apply-to-the-court/application-forms
Download information booklets online: www.maorilandcourt.govt.nz/about-mlc/publications
View the National Pānui online or subscribe online: www.maorilandcourt.govt.nz/national-panui

Ngāi Tahu Māori Law Centre

The Ngāi Tahu Māori Law Centre assists all Ngāi Tahu and all Māori living within the Ngāi Tahu rohe on Māori land law issues.

Website: www.ngaitahulaw.org.nz
Email: info@ngaitahulaw.org.nz
Phone: 0800 626 745

Pātaka Whenua

Pātaka Whenua is the new online customer portal that replaced Māori Land Online. This customer portal gives you the ability to submit an enquiry, access Māori land information and file a Court application.

Website:  www.customer.service.maorilandcourt.govt.nz
View the user guides on Pātaka Whenua online: www.māorilandcourt.govt.nz/contact-us/pātaka-whenua-our-new-online-portal

In the future you will be able to search for documents including Minutes and Orders. Until this is available online, you can access this information by emailing mlctewaharoa@justice.govt.nz or visiting your local Māori Land Court office.

Te Tumu Paeroa: Office of the Māori Trustee

Te Tumu Paeroa provide professional trustee services where the Māori Trustee has been appointed a role on a Māori Land Trust.

Website: www.tetumupaeroa.co.nz
Email: contact@tetumupaeroa.co.nz
Phone: 0800 943 682

Inland Revenue Department, Kaitakawaenga Māori service

Kaitakawaenga Māori provides support to any Māori individual or business wanting tax information, advice or training.

Website: www.ird.govt.nz/contactus/kaitakawaenga-maori

Also available as a book

The Community Law Manual

The Manual contains over 1000 pages of easy-to-read legal info and comprehensive answers to common legal questions. From ACC to family law, health & disability, jobs, benefits & flats, Tāonga Māori, immigration and refugee law and much more, the Manual covers just about every area of community and personal life.

Buy The Community Law Manual

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top