Home | Browse Topics | Taonga Māori | Māori land | How Māori land is sold or otherwise alienated

Taonga Māori

Alienation: Selling, gifting and other land transactions

How Māori land is sold or otherwise alienated

Te Ture Whenua Māori Act 1993, s 164

In general, Māori land can only be transferred by an order issued by the Māori Land Court (unless the land is vested in a Māori incorporation). A “Vesting Order” can be used to transfer shares in Māori land:

  • from one person to another by gift or sale
  • to the trustees of the landowners
  • from trustees to the people beneficially entitled to the shares
  • to provide a dwelling site for an owner, or
  • between owners to enable the land to be partitioned (see: “Partitions (subdivisions) and other title improvements”).

In some cases, the court can give approval for a transfer in the form of a Confirmation Order or certificate, rather than a Vesting Order.

Who can apply for a Vesting Order?

Te Ture Whenua Māori Act 1993, s 164

You can apply for a Vesting Order if you are:

  • the owner of the land or shares being transferred, or
  • the person receiving the land or shares, or
  • a trustee for either the owner or the person receiving the land or shares.

In either case, the transferor (the person applying for the Vesting Order) must appear in the court to confirm that they want to alienate their land or shares.

What documents do I have to include in my application?

Māori Land Court Rules 2011, rules 11.13, 11.14 Te Ture Whenua Māori Act 1993, s 164(6)

For your application to be successful there must be sufficient support for it among the children and grandchildren that would otherwise be entitled to the land through the succession process (see: “Succession: Transfer of ownership when an owner dies”).

You’ll need to include:

  • a copy of the land interests you want to transfer
  • a certified copy of the entry in the district valuation roll or a valuation done by a registered public valuer
  • details of the agreement and whether the interests are being transferred by gift or by sale
  • whakapapa details to establish that the person receiving the interests is a member of the whānau or hapū associated with the land (belongs to the preferred classes of alienees), and
  • an application to be exempted from the requirement to provide a special government valuation if applicable (see below).

Note: If the value of the Māori land shares is more than $2,000, the owner of the shares may need to give evidence. This can be done either by a written affidavit or by a declaration to support the application.

Special valuations

Te Ture Whenua Māori Act 1993, ss 158, 164(3) Māori Land Court Rules 2011, rule 11.14

An application for a Vesting Order must be supported by a special valuation for each block of land, unless the court exempts you from this requirement.

How will the court decide whether to make an order?

Te Ture Whenua Māori Act 1993, ss 152, 164

For a confirmation of alienation for instance, when you’re applying to confirm a sale, lease, or mortgage – the Māori Land Court has to make the order you apply for, if your application meets all the requirements of the act.

For a “Vesting Order,” the court will consider the effect the Vesting Order would have on the owners’ children and grandchildren. The court usually requires that an owner wanting to gift or sell an interest first consult with their children and whānau. This is in recognition of the principles of Te Ture Whenua Māori Act that Māori land is taonga tuku iho and should be retained in the hands of its owners and their whānau. The court will want to be satisfied that the children and whānau have had enough time to discuss and consider that, as a result of the gifting or sale of the land, they won’t be entitled to it in the future.

The court will usually consider whether the owners have thought about other options under the Act, such as establishing a whānau trust. The court will often explore alternative solutions to avoid unnecessary transfers.

Did this answer your question?

Māori land

Where to go for more support

Community Law

Your local Community Law Centre can provide you with free initial legal advice.

Find your local Community Law Centre online:

Māori Land Court

See the Māori Land Court website for application forms and information about Māori Land and the court’s role and processes.

Website: www.maorilandcourt.govt.nz
Download application forms online: www.maorilandcourt.govt.nz/our-application-process/come-in-apply-to-the-court/application-forms
Download information booklets online: www.maorilandcourt.govt.nz/about-mlc/publications
View the National Pānui online or subscribe online: www.maorilandcourt.govt.nz/national-panui

Ngāi Tahu Māori Law Centre

The Ngāi Tahu Māori Law Centre assists all Ngāi Tahu and all Māori living within the Ngāi Tahu rohe on Māori land law issues.

Website: www.ngaitahulaw.org.nz
Email: info@ngaitahulaw.org.nz
Phone: 0800 626 745

Pātaka Whenua

Pātaka Whenua is the new online customer portal that replaced Māori Land Online. This customer portal gives you the ability to submit an enquiry, access Māori land information and file a Court application.

Website:  www.customer.service.maorilandcourt.govt.nz
View the user guides on Pātaka Whenua online: www.māorilandcourt.govt.nz/contact-us/pātaka-whenua-our-new-online-portal

In the future you will be able to search for documents including Minutes and Orders. Until this is available online, you can access this information by emailing mlctewaharoa@justice.govt.nz or visiting your local Māori Land Court office.

Te Tumu Paeroa: Office of the Māori Trustee

Te Tumu Paeroa provide professional trustee services where the Māori Trustee has been appointed a role on a Māori Land Trust.

Website: www.tetumupaeroa.co.nz
Email: contact@tetumupaeroa.co.nz
Phone: 0800 943 682

Inland Revenue Department, Kaitakawaenga Māori service

Kaitakawaenga Māori provides support to any Māori individual or business wanting tax information, advice or training.

Website: www.ird.govt.nz/contactus/kaitakawaenga-maori

Also available as a book

The Community Law Manual

The Manual contains over 1000 pages of easy-to-read legal info and comprehensive answers to common legal questions. From ACC to family law, health & disability, jobs, benefits & flats, Tāonga Māori, immigration and refugee law and much more, the Manual covers just about every area of community and personal life.

Buy The Community Law Manual

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top