The Māori Land Court
Jurisdiction of the Māori Land Court
Jurisdiction in relation to Māori land
The Māori Land Court has the power to deal with a range of issues relating to Māori land, including:
- the status of land
- successions (transfer of ownership when an owner dies)
- the selling or gifting (“alienation”) of Māori land
- the administration of Māori land trusts
- Māori land trusts, incorporations and reservations, and
- partitions (subdivisions) and other title improvements.
Jurisdiction under other Acts
The Māori Land Court also has jurisdiction to hear cases under:
- the Māori Fisheries Act 2004
- the Māori Commercial Aquaculture Claims Settlement Act 2004, and
- a number of other Acts.