Home | Browse Topics | Jobs & benefits | Starting and leaving a job | Who can do sex work

Jobs & benefits

Sex workers

Who can do sex work

Can anyone be a sex worker?

There are only two rules about who can legally do sex work in New Zealand:

  • you have to be 18 or over, and
  • you have to be a New Zealand or Australian citizen or resident.

If you are on any kind of temporary visa, doing sex work is illegal and you could be deported.

Can I do sex work if I’m under 18?

Prostitution Reform Act 2003, ss 20–23  Case: [2012] NZCA 189

If someone who is under 18 does sex work, they can’t be arrested or prosecuted for that. But it’s illegal for everyone else involved. If you’re under 18 it’s illegal for a client to use your services and illegal for anyone to employ you or organise clients for you or profit from your sex work, or to help or encourage you in any way to do sex work. You won’t get in trouble with the law yourself.

Any client or operator who is involved with an under-18-year-old doing sex work can be prosecuted, even if the under-18-year-old told them they were older. It’s a client’s and operator’s responsibility to make sure they don’t work with people who are under 18.

Can I do sex work on a temporary visa?

Prostitution Reform Act 2003, s 19

It’s illegal to do sex work if you are in New Zealand on any kind of temporary visa. If the police or immigration officials find out that you’re doing sex work while on a temporary visa, you might be deported.

However, you still have lots of rights under New Zealand law, and the police can help you enforce them.

Remember though that there is a risk you may be deported while enforcing your rights. It is a good idea to get advice from the New Zealand Prostitutes Collective (NZPC) or a Community Law Centre while you decide what else to do.

If you were brought to New Zealand by someone else in a “trafficking” situation, you can go to the police and get a special kind of visa so you can stay in New Zealand (see: “Family violence, vulnerable migrants, and other special visa policies”).

Here are some of the rights you have, even if you are doing sex work illegally on a temporary visa:

  • the right to give or refuse consent to sex
  • the right to insist on safer sex practices, like using condoms and dental dams
  • the right to be paid what you and your client or boss agreed
  • the right to be safe at work
  • the right not to be bullied or harassed
  • the right to stop doing sex work whenever you want to.

Did this answer your question?

Starting and leaving a job

Where to go for more support

Community Law

Your local Community Law Centre can provide you with free initial legal advice.

Find your local Community Law Centre online: www.communitylaw.org.nz/our-law-centres

Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment

The Employment website of the Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment publishes a range of information on employment relations and minimum rights at work.

Website: www.employment.govt.nz
Phone: 0800 20 90 20
Starting a job: www.employment.govt.nz/starting-employment/
Leaving a job: www.employment.govt.nz/ending-employment/

Te Kauae Kaimahi/
New Zealand Council of Trade Unions

Te Kauae Kaimahi is the umbrella body for affiliated unions covering every job and industry in New Zealand. It can provide information about which union may cover the type of work you do.

Website: www.union.org.nz
Email: info@nzpc.org.nz
Phone: (04) 385 1334

New Zealand Prostitutes Collective

The New Zealand Prostitutes Collective is a nationwide organisation run by sex workers for sex workers. They provide information and services for people who are doing sex work or thinking about doing sex work.

Website: www.nzpc.org.nz
Email: info@nzpc.org.nz
Phone: 04 382 8791
Instagram: www.instagram.com/_nzpc/

Union Network of Migrants (UNEMIG)

UNEMIG or Union Network of Migrants is an association of migrant workers within FIRST Union.

Website: www.unemig.org.nz
Email: unemig@firstunion.org.nz 
Phone: 0800 863 477

Migrant Workers Association

The Migrant Workers Association NZ fights for migrant workers’ rights and against injustice and exploitation in the workplace.

Website: migrantworkers.org.nz
Email: help@migrantworkers.org.nz
Phone: 0800 863 477
Facebook: www.facebook.com/migrantworkersassociationaotearoa/

Also available as a book

The Community Law Manual

The Manual contains over 1000 pages of easy-to-read legal info and comprehensive answers to common legal questions. From ACC to family law, health & disability, jobs, benefits & flats, Tāonga Māori, immigration and refugee law and much more, the Manual covers just about every area of community and personal life.

Buy The Community Law Manual

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top