COVID-19 response

If you are looking for the latest legal information relating current Coronavirus laws in New Zealand, check out our new section: Coronavirus and the Law.

Communtity Law Manual | Starting & leaving a job | Your employment agreement

Your legal rights as a worker: Where they come from

Your employment agreement

What is an employment agreement?

Your employment agreement sets out the terms and conditions that govern your relationship with your employer.

It can be either:

  • an individual agreement – that is, between one employee and one employer, or
  • a collective agreement – that is, between two or more employees, and one or more employers, and one or more unions.

(See the section “Different types of employment agreements and arrangements” in this chapter.)

The terms of your employment agreement include not just what is in the written agreement but also any extra terms that you and your employer agree on verbally.

Your agreement might not include the specific normal practices of your workplace, but by signing the employment agreement you are legally agreeing to adhere to these normal practices.

Does my employer have to give me a written agreement?

Employment Relations Act 2000, ss 54, 64, 65, 235B; Employment Relations (Infringement Offences) Regulations 2019, reg 5

Yes. Every employee must have a written employment agreement.

If your boss doesn’t provide you with a written agreement, a labour inspector can give them an infringement notice (like a speeding ticket) requiring them to pay a $1,000 fine. Alternatively, you or a labour inspector can ask the Employment Relations Authority to order your boss to pay a financial penalty.

Your boss must keep a signed copy of the agreement. They must also give you a copy, if you ask for one. If they breach those rules, the Employment Relation Authority can order them to pay a penalty.

Your rights if you don’t have a written agreement (you’re still protected)

Health and Safety at Work Act 2015; Employment Relations Act 2000

You have legal rights as an employee even if you don’t have a written employment agreement, because a verbal agreement between you and your employer is still legally valid.

The terms and conditions of your employment relationship will include:

back to top
Page Reader Press Enter to Read Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Pause or Restart Reading Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Stop Reading Page Content Out Loud Screen Reader Support