Health and safety protections

COVID-19 and work

In 2020 and 2021, the New Zealand government brought in rules to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Some of these rules were around requirements at work, for example, wearing masks and getting vaccinated. Most of these rules are no longer in force, but your employer may still have health and safety policies around COVID-19. This section covers your rights around these policies.

Rules around vaccines and masks

Can I be required to get vaccinated for work?

In most workplaces, employers don’t require employees to get vaccinated against COVID-19. If your work wants to bring in a vaccine requirement, they should consult with their employees first and complete a work health and safety risk assessment.

There are circumstances where vaccine requirements are genuinely needed for health and safety reasons – for example, in a healthcare setting.

There may also be situations where a third party imposes a condition on your employer – for example, if you work at a catering company and a venue only allow vaccinated workers onto its premises.

Can I be required to wear a mask at work?

Any workplace can encourage you to wear a face mask or to require customers to wear a face mask as a condition of entry.

Your employer can make you wear any personal protection equipment (“PPE”) if there is a justified reason for this. For example, you might have to wear a face mask if your employer has identified and is trying to manage a specific risk such as airborne diseases, dust, or dangerous fumes. You can talk to your employer if you think their reason is not justified.

If there is a reason you can’t wear the PPE required, you should talk to your employer about finding a different way to manage the risk.

Can my boss ask me if I’m vaccinated?

Your boss should only ask if you’re vaccinated if they have a good reason to, for example, if you will be visiting a third party site that requires vaccinations. You do not have to disclose your personal vaccination status if you don’t want to.

If you choose not to disclose your vaccination status, your employer might assume you are unvaccinated, but they have to tell you this.

You can’t be redeployed or disadvantaged for refusing to disclose your vaccination status unless the work you are doing cannot be done by unvaccinated employees.

What if I don’t feel comfortable working with unvaccinated people?

If you don’t feel comfortable working in close proximity with unvaccinated colleagues, you could ask your employer for a change in your working arrangements (see: “Flexible working”). For example, you could ask to work from home or work different hours. Your employer is required to consider your request in good faith.

Did this answer your question?

Employment conditions and protections

Where to go for more support

Community Law

Your local Community Law Centre can provide you with free initial legal advice.

Find your local Community Law Centre online:

Access the free “Pregnancy Rights: Your legal options before and after pregnancy” booklet. This booklet contains practical answers to questions about pregnancy and the law, and includes information on sexual health and consent, options after a positive pregnancy test, healthcare, education, housing and more.
Email for a hard copy:
Phone: Community Law Wellington and Hutt Valley – 04 499 2928

Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment

The Employment website of the Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment publishes a range of information on employment relations and minimum rights at work.

Phone: 0800 20 90 20
Hours and wages:
Leave and holidays:
Workplace policies:

Te Kauae Kaimah/New Zealand Council of Trade Unions

Te Kauae Kaimah is the umbrella body for affiliated unions covering every job and industry in New Zealand. It can provide information about which union may cover the type of work you do.

Phone: (04) 385 1334

Labour inspectorate

Labour inspectors monitor and enforce minimum employment conditions. To refer a problem to a labour inspector, you contact the Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment.

Website: and
Phone: 0800 20 90 20

Mahi Haumaru Aotearoa/Worksafe New Zealand

Worksafe is New Zealand’s primary workplace health and safety regulator.  The website contains a range of information on workplace health and safety.

Phone: 0800 030 040
Notify Worksafe online:

Parental leave payments

For more information on parental leave see Inland Revenue’s website.


Office of the Ombudsman

The Ombudsman handles complaints about Government agencies. In the employment context, you can make a protected disclosure (known as whistle-blowing).

Phone: 0800 802 602
Whistle-blowing/protected disclosure information:

To make a complaint online:

Also available as a book

The Community Law Manual

The Manual contains over 1000 pages of easy-to-read legal info and comprehensive answers to common legal questions. From ACC to family law, health & disability, jobs, benefits & flats, Tāonga Māori, immigration and refugee law and much more, the Manual covers just about every area of community and personal life.

Buy The Community Law Manual

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top