Home | Browse Topics | Government & legal system | Dealing with government agencies | Going to the courts: “Judicial review”

Government & legal system

Challenging decisions and conduct of government agencies

Going to the courts: “Judicial review”

Overview of judicial review

Judicial Review Procedure Act 2016

If a government agency or official has made a decision affecting you under a power granted to them by an Act, you might be able to apply to the High Court for a “judicial review” of the particular decision. A wide range of public-sector bodies and individual decision-makers can be challenged by judicial review (e.g., state schools).

The judge usually won’t look at whether the decision-maker made the “right” decision, but will look instead at the way the decision was made – for example, whether you were given the chance to have your say, and whether the decision-maker considered all the relevant factors. The court’s role isn’t to substitute its own decision for that of the relevant agency or official, rather it’s to make sure the decision-maker acted within their legal powers – in particular, that they followed the process that the law requires.

The right to apply for judicial review through the High Court is a central part of the “rule of law”. A core role of the courts is to enforce legal rights and obligations, and judicial review specifically is a key way of making sure that government bodies and officials act within the law.

Judicial review has been used to challenge a wide range of decisions and decision-makers. It’s been used by large businesses to challenge government decisions refusing them various kinds of commercial licences (fisheries or broadcasting licences for example), but also by parents to challenge disciplinary decisions by school boards of trustees about their child. However, as we explain below under “Disadvantages of judicial review,” judicial review is often not a practical way of getting the outcome you want, and going to the Ombudsman instead will often be faster and more effective (see: “The Ombudsman: Watchdogs over government”).

Note: This area of the law is complicated, and in this section, we give only a short summary of the main features. If you think going to the courts may be a viable option for you, you’ll need to talk to a lawyer early on.

On what grounds can the High Court overrule an official decision?

The grounds on which a High Court judge can overturn the decision of a government decision-maker include, among others:

  • that the decision-maker was mistaken about the facts or about the law
  • that the decision-maker took into account irrelevant factors, or ignored some relevant factors
  • that the decision was made for an improper purpose
  • that the decision-maker didn’t follow the rules of natural justice – for example, they were biased against you, or they didn’t give you a chance to put your side of the story, or they changed their policy without publishing the new policy.

What orders can the High Court make?

If the judge agrees with your challenge, they can cancel the decision (sometimes called “quashing” the decision). They can also order the agency or official to take particular action – for example, ordering them to reconsider the issue and make a fresh decision.

It may be that no final decision has yet been made and you’ve gone to court in advance, to prevent it happening. In these cases, the judge has the power to prohibit the agency or official from taking the decision or action you’re opposed to (“prohibition” or “injunction”).

The judge can also make an order declaring what your legal rights are in the situation (“declaration”).

Disadvantages of judicial review

Judicial review is an important tool that citizens can use to make sure the government and other public bodies don’t step outside their legal powers when dealing with you. However, for a number of reasons it often may not be a practical option for challenging decisions:

  • Expensive – taking a case to the High Court is expensive, as you’ll need to have a lawyer. You may qualify for Legal Aid, but usually you’ll have to pay this back.
  • Slow – it may take many months before the High Court hears your case and gives a decision.
  • Narrow scope – the judge won’t be able to change the decision just because they would have made a different decision if it had been up to them originally. Even if the judge does cancel the original decision, they might decide to send the issue back to the original decision-maker for them to make a fresh decision – the decision-maker could then just make the same decision after correcting any problems with their process that the judge identified.

Did this answer your question?

Dealing with government agencies

Where to go for more support

Community Law

Your local Community Law Centre can provide you with free initial legal advice.

Find your local Community Law Centre online: www.communitylaw.org.nz/our-law-centres

Office of the Ombudsman

The Ombudsman handles complaints about Government agencies.

Website: www.ombudsman.parliament.nz
Email: office@ombudsmen.parliament.nz
Phone: 0800 802 602

To make a complaint online: www.ombudsman.parliament.nz/get-help-public

Privacy Commissioner

The Privacy Commissioner website provides information about your rights and responsibilities under the Privacy Act 2020 and the Privacy Principles.  It also outlines the role of the Privacy Commissioner and how to make a privacy complaint.

Website: www.privacy.org.nz
Email: enquiries@privacy.org.nz
Phone: 0800 803 909

To make a complaint online: www.privacy.org.nz/your-rights/making-a-complaint

Te Kāhui Tika Tangata/Human Rights Commission

The Human Rights Commission website provides information about human rights in Aotearoa and outlines how you can make a complaint to the Commission.

Website: www.tikatangata.org.nz or www.hrc.co.nz
Email: infoline@hrc.co.nz
Phone: 0800 496 877 (0800 4 YOUR RIGHTS)

To make a complaint online, download a complaint form or find out more about the complaints process: www.tikatangata.org.nz/resources-and-support/make-a-complaint

Health and Disability Commissioner

The Health and Disability Commissioner website sets out your rights under the Code of Health and Disability Services Consumers’ Rights and how you can make a complaint to the Commissioner.

Website: www.hdc.org.nz
Email: hdc@hdc.org.nz
Phone: 0800 11 22 33

To make a complaint online: www.hdc.org.nz/making-a-complaint/make-a-complaint-to-hdc

Independent Police Conduct Authority (IPCA)

The Independent Police Conduct Authority website has information about how the Authority receives and investigates complaints about the Police.

Website: www.ipca.govt.nz
Email: info@ipca.govt.nz
Phone: 0800 503 728

To make a complaint online: www.complaints.ipca.govt.nz/195

Directory of Official Information

The Directory of Official Information lists the information each central government body holds.

Website: www.justice.govt.nz/about/official-information-act-requests/directory-of-official-information

Also available as a book

The Community Law Manual

The Manual contains over 1000 pages of easy-to-read legal info and comprehensive answers to common legal questions. From ACC to family law, health & disability, jobs, benefits & flats, Tāonga Māori, immigration and refugee law and much more, the Manual covers just about every area of community and personal life.

Buy The Community Law Manual

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top