COVID-19 response

If you are looking for the latest legal information relating current Coronavirus laws in New Zealand, check out our Coronavirus and the Law section.

Communtity Law Manual | Driving & traffic law | Parking wardens: Their powers

Enforcement powers of police and parking wardens

Parking wardens: Their powers

Powers to issue infringement notices (tickets)

Land Transport Act 1998, ss 128E, 139; Land Transport (Motor Vehicle Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2011, reg 77(2); Land Transport (Offences and Penalties) Regulations 1999,
reg 10, Schedule 7

Parking wardens can issue infringement notices – or “tickets” – to enforce parking restrictions, rules for special lanes (such as bus lanes and transit lanes), and a limited number of other offences, such as not having a current warrant of fitness, having an unregistered or unlicensed vehicle, or having bald tyres.

Powers to obtain information from drivers and move vehicles

Land Transport Act 1998, s 128E

As part of enforcing parking restrictions and other traffic rules that come within their role, parking wardens can require you to give them your identifying details and certain other information. If you’re in a vehicle, or seem to be in charge of a vehicle, they can require you to give them your full name, full address and other identifying details or, if you’re not the driver or in charge of the vehicle, to give them any information you’re aware of that would identify the driver or person in charge.

It’s a criminal offence to refuse to give that information, or to give false information. For this you can be fined up to $1,000.

If a parking warden believes on reasonable grounds that your vehicle is obstructing the road or an entrance or that it’s a safety risk or is inconveniencing the public, they can get into your vehicle and move it to a place where it won’t be a traffic hazard, or order you to move it, or authorise someone else (such as a tow-truck operator) to move it.

Note: Parking wardens don’t have any power to arrest people.

back to top
Page Reader Press Enter to Read Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Pause or Restart Reading Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Stop Reading Page Content Out Loud Screen Reader Support