Home | Browse Topics | Criminal & traffic law | Driving and traffic law | Driver licence stop orders for unpaid fines

Criminal & traffic law

Losing your licence: Suspensions and disqualifications

Driver licence stop orders for unpaid fines

What is a “driver licence stop order”?

Land Transport Act 1998, ss 91A-91H

The Ministry of Justice can make a driver licence stop order against you if you have overdue fines or reparation (compensation to victims) for traffic offences. The order suspends your licence, or disqualifies you if you don’t have a current licence, and prevents you from driving until you pay the unpaid amount or come to a repayment arrangement with the courts.

When and how driver licence stop orders are made

Land Transport Act 1998, ss 91D, 91E

If you have overdue fines or reparation, the Ministry of Justice will send you a warning notice, explaining that if you don’t pay the unpaid amount or come to a repayment arrangement within two weeks (14 days) a driver licence stop order can be made against you.

If you haven’t dealt with your unpaid fines after the 14 days are up, the Ministry of Justice or a police officer at the roadside can make the order against you. When driver licence stop orders were first introduced in 2013, the government said the orders would be specifically targeted at people who have a number of unpaid fines.

What if I drive while the stop order is in force?

Land Transport Act 1998, ss 5(1)(c), 32, 96(1)(b)

It’s a criminal offence to drive while a drive licence stop order is in force against you. You can be jailed for up to three months or fined up to $4,500, and you’ll also get an additional disqualification for at least six months. Your vehicle will also be impounded for 28 days, see in this chapter, “Automatic 28-day impounding for some traffic offences”.

How do I get rid of a driver licence stop order?

Land Transport Act 1998, s 91H

You’ll need to contact the Ministry of Justice on 0800 4 FINES to make a repayment arrangement for your fines or reparations. You can arrange to pay them off over time.

Note: Another option is to apply to the courts to have your unpaid fines replaced by a community work sentence. In that case, you’ll need to pay a licence replacement fee.

Did this answer your question?

Driving and traffic law

Where to go for more support

Community Law


Your local Community Law Centre can provide free initial legal advice and information.

Applying for a limited licence” (guide)

This Plain English guide, plus template application forms and affidavits, will help you apply for a limited licence. It’s available on the Community Law website – www.communitylaw.org.nz

New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA)


Phone: 0800 699 000
Email: info@nzta.govt.nz

The NZTA site provides a wide range of driving and road safety information, including on topics covered in this chapter.

You can read and download fact sheets and other publications from their site, or you can order hard copies by contacting them, including their fact-sheet on Legal mobile phone use while driving.


NZ Police

Frequently Asked Questions


The “Driving/road safety” and “Tickets/infringements” section of this webpage have Frequently Asked Questions about traffic fines, speeding, demerit points and where you can pay your fines.

Consumer protection

“Parking, towing and clamping”


This Consumer Protection webpage has information about the law covering tow trucks and wheel-clamping on public and private property, and about unreasonable fees in private car parks.

Also available as a book

The Community Law Manual

The Manual contains over 1000 pages of easy-to-read legal info and comprehensive answers to common legal questions. From ACC to family law, health & disability, jobs, benefits & flats, Tāonga Māori, immigration and refugee law and much more, the Manual covers just about every area of community and personal life. It’s for people living in Aotearoa New Zealand (and their advocates) to help themselves.

Buy The Community Law Manual

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top