Home | Browse Topics | Criminal & traffic law | Driving and traffic law | Skateboards, scooters and mobility devices

Criminal & traffic law

Skateboards, scooters and mobility devices


Riding skateboards and scooters on roads and footpaths

Land Transport (Road User) Rule 2004, rule 11.1

If you ride a skateboard or a scooter (the small-wheeled, unpowered type of scooter) or use in-line skates, you have to follow these rules:

  • if you’re riding on the road, you have to keep as close as possible to the edge of the road
  • on the footpath, you must be careful and considerate and not be a hazard to others. You have to give way to pedestrians and people on mobility scooters.

Unlike cyclists, you don’t have to wear a helmet or use lights at night if you’re riding a skateboard or scooter.

Skating in malls, parks and other public places

Local councils also often have specific bylaws about skateboarding in public places like town squares – for example:

Wellington Consolidated Bylaw 2022, Part D: Offences and penalties

  • Wellington City Council bylaws allows skateboards and skates to be used in public places (like urban parks and squares) unless there’s a sign there saying otherwise. But you have to show reasonable consideration for other people there, and make sure you don’t damage council property (bench seats for example).

Auckland Council Public Safety and Nuisance Bylaw 2013, clause 6(1)(c)

  • Auckland Council bylaws say that skateboards and other skaters in public places can’t be reckless or ride in a way that could be dangerous, intimidating or a nuisance.

Mobility scooters

Land Transport (Road User) Rule 2004, rule 11.1

If you ride a mobility scooter, you can’t ride on any part of the road if you’re able to ride on the footpath. If you do need to ride it on the road, you have to keep as close as possible to the edge of the road.

When you’re riding your mobility scooter on the footpath, you must be careful and considerate and not be a hazard to others. Skateboarders on the footpath have to give way to you.

Did this answer your question?

Driving and traffic law

Where to go for more support

Community Law

Your local Community Law Centre can provide you with free initial legal advice.

Find your local Community Law Centre online: www.communitylaw.org.nz/our-law-centres/

For Community Law’s guide to applying for a limited licence and template application forms: communitylaw.org.nz/resources/legal-letters

Waka Kotahi – New Zealand Transport Agency

Waka Kotahi’s site provides a wide range of driving and road safety information, including on topics covered in this chapter.

Website: www.nzta.govt.nz
Phone: 0800 699 000
Email: info@nzta.govt.nz

Search your question on Waka Kotahi’s resources section: www.nzta.govt.nz/resources

New Zealand Police

The New Zealand Police’s “frequently asked questions” section provides helpful information, particularly the “Driving/road safety” and “Tickets/infringements” section.

Website: www.police.govt.nz/advice-and-services/faqs

New Zealand Government

The New Zealand government website sets out more information about driving fines and penalties, including how to pay for infringement notices.

Website: www.govt.nz/browse/transport/driving-fines-and-penalties

Consumer Protection

The Consumer Protection website has useful information on a range of consumer topics, including private parking tickets and the towing and clamping of cars.

Website: www.consumerprotection.govt.nz/help-product-service/cars/parking-clamping-towing

Also available as a book

The Community Law Manual

The Manual contains over 1000 pages of easy-to-read legal info and comprehensive answers to common legal questions. From ACC to family law, health & disability, jobs, benefits & flats, Tāonga Māori, immigration and refugee law and much more, the Manual covers just about every area of community and personal life.

Buy The Community Law Manual

Help the manual

We’re a small team that relies on the generosity of all our supporters. You can make a one-off donation or become a supporter by sponsoring the Manual for a community organisation near you. Every contribution helps us to continue updating and improving our legal information, year after year.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top